Director of Communications
San Francisco County Transportation Authority
San Francisco, CA
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Salary: $143,842 – $198,504
Interested individuals are encouraged to submit a letter of interest and résumé. This recruitment will remain open until filled. However, first consideration will be given to individuals who respond by October 13, 2023.
✓ Want to help shape the future of transportation in San Francisco?
✓ Have a passion for storytelling and community engagement?
✓ Have a commitment to advancing equitable access for all?
If so, we invite you to apply to be our Director of Communications.
We’re looking for applicants with 6 years or more of experience in communications, media relations, and/or community outreach programs, including in a supervisory or managerial role. As our Director of Communications, you will oversee external affairs and public outreach for a variety of policy, funding, planning and project delivery efforts, relating to the Transportation Authority’s mission and functions as San Francisco’s transportation sales tax administrator and congestion management agency, among other roles.
Reports to: Executive Director
Exemption status: Full-time, Exempt
We’re looking for candidates who will bring:
- Proven media and messaging experience through multiple traditional and new/social media channels.
- Public engagement experience to develop and implement public outreach and engagement plans for diverse communities.
- Project management skills to direct and oversee agency-wide messaging and external affairs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to simplify complex issues for lay/diverse audiences.
- Knowledge of San Francisco / Bay Area transportation issues, settings and institutions are a plus.
- The Transportation Authority is committed to developing and maintaining a diverse and inclusive staff — demonstrated track record of contributing to advancing equity and inclusion are highly desirable.
Annual Compensation Range: $143,842 – $198,504
Salary is dependent on experience, plus excellent benefits. The Transportation Authority offers an employer contribution to a retirement plan in lieu of Social Security. In addition, the Transportation Authority offers a generous cafeteria-style benefits package and flexible work arrangements including up to 3 days remote work per week.
Retirement: Up to 12.47% employer contribution
Insurance: Health, dental, life, short- and long-term disability and more. Medical and dependent care pre-tax reimbursement accounts.
Deferred Compensation (Section 457)
Vacation: Three weeks of vacation per year during the first five years of service
Holidays: 12 holidays per year, plus three personal holidays
Commuter Benefits: Up to $160 per month in Commuter Checks or a $20 per month bike benefit
How to Apply
Applications must include:
- Cover letter (please indicate where you saw this job posted)
Email your submission to [email protected] with the subject line "RE: Director of Communications, Executive Division."
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted September 18, 2023, 3:00 PM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research
Mpact: Mobility, Community, Possibility
City of Helena
Lassen County Planning and Building Services
City of San Carlos