Senior Policy Specialist
California Department of Housing and Community Development
Sacramento, CA - Work from Home
Salary: $6658 - $8334 per MonthApply Now
Position: JC-351061 - Telework Option - Senior Policy Specialist - Fair Housing
The Department’s Division of Housing Policy Development (HPD) develops, promotes, and implements innovative housing and community development policies, practices, and partnerships to create and preserve affordable and healthy housing opportunities for all Californians. The division identifies California’s housing needs and develops policy recommendations to meet those needs; prepares and implements various guiding housing policy documents for the state; and administers state housing element law.
Under the general direction of the Fair Housing Manager II, the Housing and Community Development Specialist II (HCDS II), Fair Housing is responsible for conducting high-level research, analysis and development of program and policy recommendations on issues related to fair housing, land use planning, housing law, state and regional housing needs, and ensuring access to opportunity in housing policies and programs. The HCDS II, will support the Fair Housing unit through a variety of special projects including strategic project planning, project management, process improvement, research, outreach, and communication to further unit goals. The Fair Housing unit oversee the California Indian Assistance Program which supports Tribal Nation access to HCD funding programs. This position may have opportunities to support projects in this subject area, depending on needs.
The HCDS II for Fair Housing will serve as the main conduit between HPD’s policy activities and wide variety of external stakeholders, including other state agencies, representing the Department in complex and controversial issues and will provide updates on activities and recommendations to Executive leadership.
- Knowledge of affirmatively furthering fair housing, housing elements and housing law, access to opportunity, displacement, tenant rights, equity, land use, community development, environmental justice, and housing finance and preservation.
- Experience and/or exposure to legislative, regulatory, or other governmental policy
- Extensive knowledge in local planning and housing development, housing legislation, or housing data and research
- Experience and/or exposure to legislative, regulatory, or other governmental policy making
- Strong communication (written, verbal and inter-personal), relationship management, and collaboration
- Experience presenting to public audiences, working with a variety of stakeholders, and leading outreach and sustained long-term engagement
- Experience conducting policy analysis, including research and using complex data
- Experience preparing materials such as policy briefs, papers, and technical assistance documents
- Project management experience as a project lead, including prioritizing workload, delegating tasks, and organizing successful work projects.
- Experience advancing organization change management, incorporating diverse perspectives, and demonstrating resilience over a longer implementation time horizon
Serve as one of the Division’s highest level policy experts acting independently or as a team member, responsible for providing expertise, policy analysis, and compliance with state housing laws, rules and regulations. Effectively prepare and present written briefs, reports, talking points, technical documentation and presentations, for internal and external communications and events. Coordinate and assist executives and leaders in responding to technical aspects of the program and responding to stakeholder questions and inquiries.
Develop and evaluate existing policy initiatives to strengthen existing laws, rules, and strategies for implementing new or revised policies and programs in support of policy priorities. Manage projects and may oversee staff in a project management capacity to Department staff and consultants to implement projects, initiatives and programs. Maintain effective communication with executives and leaders regarding the progress of the projects, initiatives, and programs.
Interpret and analyze complex data from governmental agencies, internal departmental data, and other data sources, reports, surveys, and special projects to support policy and program development and evaluation. Design, develop and maintain research databases and files. Develop and analyze reports and infographics using a variety of databases and present findings. Assist management in measuring past and potential decisions, activities and outcomes.
Independently develop and facilitate presentations in support of Departmental activities and functions. Provide technical assistance and consultation to a broad range of constituencies and gather stakeholder input through workshops, surveys, and public comment. Represent the Department as a member of external committees, inter-agency efforts, advisory bodies and other groups addressing assigned area of expertise as authorized and directed by division management.
Other duties as assigned.
Posted January 20, 2023, 10:56 AM PST
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research
Harvard GSD Executive Education
Harvard GSD Executive Education