San Francisco Bay Area, CA
AICP Certification: AICP Preferred
Salary: $42/hour - $56/hour DOE
Position: Associate Planner
Organization: Metropolitan Planning Group (M-Group)
Location: Offices in Campbell, Santa Rosa, and Berkeley, Calif.
Hours: Full-time (40 hours/week)
M-Group exists to bring innovative and effective planning solutions to Bay Area cities. Since the creation of the firm in 2006, we have brought high-caliber planning services to over 80 Bay Area communities. M‑Group’s planners have extensive experience working on large, complex and high-profile projects and our staff brings together a range of accomplishments and a wealth of real-world experiences.
We strive to create an inclusive and equitable environment in our workplace and in the communities we serve. We work with intention to promote equity and respect for all people. Inclusion and diversity are at the core of M-Group’s values.
M-Group actively seeks planners that represent the diversity of the Bay Area and encourages applicants from all backgrounds including BIPOC, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, veterans, and all other qualified applicants.
Visit us at http://www.m-group.us to learn more.
ASSOCIATE PLANNER JOB DESCRIPTION
Associate Planner is the experienced journey-level classification in the professional Planner series in which employees are expected to independently perform the full scope of planning activities under occasional direction.
An Associate Planner performs a variety of professional planning duties in current and long-range planning including zoning and planning administration, environmental review, general plan updates, and plan preparation and review; and performs related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in urban planning, architecture, or a related field.
- Three years of city planning experience; OR equivalent to a master’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in urban planning, architecture, or a related field AND two years of city planning experience.
- Basic planning and design principles, practices, and current trends.
- Advanced understanding of zoning, land use, and environmental laws.
- Principles, objectives, and procedures of city and regional planning, urban design, and zoning.
- Research and statistical practices as they relate to land use, transportation, zoning, and master plan studies.
- Techniques used in the development and maintenance of comprehensive plans, general plans, and specific plans.
- Pertinent local, State, and Federal laws, ordinances, and rules.
- Elements of project review, including architectural and site planning considerations.
- Methods of citizen participation in planning.
- General customer service techniques.
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver’s license and a safe driving record or the ability to provide alternative transportation as approved by the appointing authority.
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering public presentations.
- Certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners
- Completion of certification in land use planning, transportation planning, geographic information systems, public policy, or a related area from an accredited institution; or state licensing or registration in a related field such as architecture or landscape architecture.
A new design on urban planning. Our story is one of teamwork, innovation, and collaboration. We grow with our team members. We foster the creativity and expertise of our planners by providing the right environment for initiative and self-determination. We believe that by supporting our teammates’ curiosity and continuing self-improvement our firm will continue to grow our in-house talent and potential.
Our company culture encourages M-Group staff to think big, have fun, and create great plans for our communities. We work in an open, mutually supportive, and collaborative manner. We strive to retain employees by providing job satisfaction and solid paths to meaningful work and career growth.
WHY JOIN M-GROUP?
Because We Think of the Future:
We are a socially responsible firm and work to address pressing issues in our evolving communities. We underscore our work with a commitment to respect natural and man-made environments by planning for long-term sustainability.
Because We are Dedicated to the Profession:
We hire the most talented and experienced planners and give them the support they need to expand their knowledge and passion. As a firm and as planners, we uphold the AICP Code of Ethics in everything we do.
Because We are Committed to Our Staff:
Our company culture encourages M-Group staff to think big, have fun, and create great plans for our communities. We work in an open, mutually supportive, and collaborative manner. We strive to retain employees by providing job satisfaction and solid paths to career growth.
What We Offer:
- 99% Employer Paid Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Profit Sharing program
- 401k Retirement Plan with an Employer contribution of 3% of salary after 1 year
- Medicare HSA
- Life Insurance
- 18 Personal Time Off (PTO) Days
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Short- & Long-Term Disability insurance
- Professional Development Reimbursement
- Financial Planning services
- Employee Assistance services
- Office parties, lunches, company picnics and M-Group swag
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted November 22, 2022, 1:43 PM PST
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Chaddick Institute at DePaul University
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research
California High-Speed Rail Authority (Authority)
Missoula Redevelopment Agency
City of Joliet