Vice President- Northern California
SWCA Environmental Consultants
Half Moon Bay, CA
For four decades, SWCA Environmental Consultants has provided comprehensive environmental planning, regulatory compliance, and natural and cultural resource management services to businesses and government clients across the United States. SWCA is an employee-owned firm of scientists, planners, and technical experts. We combine scientific expertise with sound technical skills to provide solutions to a full spectrum of environmental projects. Headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, SWCA has 30+ offices and over 1,000 employees throughout the United States to serve clients from primary business lines, including energy generation, oil and gas, mining, federal land management, transmission, and transportation.
Our Vision (the North Star): Make SWCA to be the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership.
We are #OneSWCA. We collaborate, we are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle and we #GiveBack. We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA's unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, technical experts, and corporate services professionals that are committed to our culture.
Our company purpose is to preserve natural and cultural resources for tomorrow while enabling projects that benefit people today. You are invited to be a part of our success story.
The Leadership Team at SWCA projects continued significant annual growth year-over-year for the next several years. This trajectory requires the addition of a strong, balanced leader to fill our Northern California Vice President position who partners with peers across the organization to share insights and information, working together to shape the direction of SWCA. Reporting to the West Senior Vice President and working collaborative with other West Vice Presidents, this candidate will bring unique people and organizational leadership to SWCA by championing the organizational culture, enabling excellence, and driving the talent strategy. Primary Duties include leading the strategic direction of the offices, financial performance, business and client development, staff management, scientific and technical quality, while ensuring the cross-collaboration and alignment needed to support the achievement of SWCA goals for our Northern California subregion which includes our Bay Area (Half Moon Bay and San Francisco), Sacramento and San Luis Obispo offices.
The successful candidate will embody SWCA's core competencies: Be action oriented, ensure accountability, instill trust, be client focused, be able to adapt in different situations, make quality decisions, and collaborate with other SWCA professionals throughout the company.
In addition, we are looking for strong business acumen - being able to apply knowledge of our business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals, to develop our people to meet both their career goals and the organization's goals, and to create a climate where people are motivated to bring their best work to help the organization to grow and prosper.
The successful candidate will be a proven leader with key core competencies such as:
Planning and Problem Solving
- Proposes objectives for their area and ensures alignment with other parts of the business to contribute to overall SWCA goals and objectives.
- Builds, communicates, and cascades the business plan throughout their area to ensure coordination of efforts.
- Drives the achievement of long-term (e.g., 3+ years) strategic and policy decisions impacting SWCA.
- Provides oversight, guidance, and high-level course correction on complex and risk-laden issues related to projects, finances, and operations.
- Manages effectively through a variety of issues, exceptions, and crises.
- Develops and manages operational budgets across multiple areas; coordinates the budgets of their directors and/or managers (e.g., capital expenditures, hiring activities, etc.).
- Leads the organization through the business planning cycle.
- Conducts regular forecasts for their area of responsibility.
- Manages the P&L for their area of responsibility, making decisions that positively impact overall P&L health.
- Ensures own team understands their utilization goals and their importance to the organization's performance.
- Serves as a senior technical resource and supports large client pursuits, service delivery and project execution.
- Serves as a mentor and role model for client-focused, effective project leadership at SWCA.
- Serves as a seasoned expert, leveraging experience to counsel and advise executive leadership on relevant strategies and policies relevant to their area.
- Seeks out and synthesizes broad trends (e.g., scientific, market, industry) that impact the business, integrating these insights into the organization to ensure alignment up, down, and across SWCA.
- Engages in strategic workforce planning to ensure a robust leadership pipeline.
- Partners with peers and executive leaders to build and maintain the organizational structure needed to deploy talent optimally.
- Builds and nurtures an environment of performance and engagement.
- Serves as a steward of the organization's culture by accelerating the development of others through coaching, mentorship, and skill-building.
- Partners with HR and other senior leaders to ensure strong bench strength (i.e., succession and strategic workforce planning). *
- Develops and implements strategies to attract, retain, motivate, and develop talent.
- Implements strategies to continually raise performance expectations in the organization.
- Steps up to address difficult issues related to people leadership (e.g., performance management, termination, etc.) in compliance with applicable HR and labor laws.
Client and Market Accountabilities
- Serves as a senior client contact, leads business development activities and ensures the sub-region meets its sales goals. Leads large proposal pursuits, and positions the company for long-term contracts and projects
- Identifies opportunities for expansion, acquisitions, strategic partnerships, and pivotal hires.
- Contributes to the growth and maintenance of client relationships.
- Anticipates changes in the marketplace and identifies opportunities for SWCA to expand services and offerings.
- Proposes new directions to leadership and/or executes them within their areas of responsibility.
- Serves as an externally facing representative of the organization for their geographic area of responsibility.
- Is aware of emerging market trends and aligns the business plan accordingly.
- Bachelor's degree in a field related to the environmental services that SWCA generally provides, including (but not limited to) biology, archaeology, anthropology, planning, environmental regulatory compliance, GIS, hydrology, and other environmental and planning fields.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience providing environmental consulting services and/or management of professional services operations with increasing responsibility.
- Proven track record of implementing innovative solutions to obtain necessary resources to drive business success (i.e., personnel, budget, thought leadership, etc.).
- Experience recognizing and capitalizing on market trends to achieve business growth.
- Prior experience in the creation and implementation of strategic plans.
- Solid understanding of office/business financials.
- Proven experience contributing to the development and execution of market-based business plans.
- Consistent track record of making tough business decisions that result in positive outcomes.
- Extensive experience working across regions or markets, showing an enterprise-wide perspective.
- Demonstrated success directing and/or managing large projects as a project or contract manager.
- Experience effectively helping the organization to manage risk in agreements and projects.
- Consistent track record of generating productive outcomes amid conflict.
- Leadership experience of diverse teams of people to achieve goals in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary, and highly complex environment.
- Experience leading a team through a successful transformation or substantial organizational change.
- Demonstrated track record of setting and monitoring individual and team performance metrics.
- Proven track record of developing high-performing individuals and addressing under-performance.
- Master's degree or above in a field related to the environmental services that SWCA generally provides, including (but not limited to) the disciplines of biology, archaeology, anthropology, planning, environmental regulatory compliance, GIS, hydrology, and other environmental and planning fields; and/or a Master's degree in Business Administration, with an emphasis on strategic planning and operations management.
- A letter of interest and resume are required for this application.
- Ability to travel as needed, for an estimated 20% of the time.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please email [email protected] or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Posted October 12, 2021, 9:00 AM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research