Placemaking and Public Space Manager
Camden Special Services DIstrict
AICP Certification: AICP Not required
Salary: 80,000 - 85,000
The Camden Special Services District (CSSD) is seeking a creative, collaborative person to support and manage programs that enhance downtown Camden’s physical environment and daily experience. The placemaking and public space manager will have the opportunity to flex their creative and pragmatic skills and will be rewarded with visible results from their efforts.
Job Type: Full Time, Monday – Friday and occasional nights and weekends
Reports To: Executive Director, Camden Special Services District
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assist with contract management and process check payment and invoice requests
- Manage CSSD’s work in downtown Camden’s public realm to create clean, beautiful, and compelling public spaces that appeal to a variety of users, including installing outdoor furnishings, enhanced landscaping, and seasonal displays
- Establish and nurture excellent relationships and serve as on-the-street liaison with property owners, businesses, and neighborhood communities
- Represent CSSD at related community meetings and focus groups
- Develop and manage financial partnerships to support placemaking work
- Stay abreast of best practices and new trends in this field
- Take photos of all CSSD activities and catalogue for easy reference
- Manage CSSD’s public space statistic and photo library and work closely with CSSD’s marketing and communications team to demonstrate value to stakeholders, partners and the public
- Assist in writing grants
- Prepare reports, graphs, maps, flyers
Qualifications & Required Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (art, design, marketing, architecture, urban planning or design, park management, or other applicable emphasis)
- Two (2) to five (5) years professional experience
- Demonstrated graphic design experience preferred. Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, basic web design, and social media platforms and Excel.
- Self-motivated, empathetic, creative, forward thinker open to creating new strategies that provide a sense of place and a lively downtown experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines with little supervision
- Willing to work occasional evenings and weekends. CSSD staff support major events.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
Activities include working in an office setting and out in the community and at all project locations. Night and weekend attendance at meetings and events is expected. The CSSD is currently working remotely during the pandemic. A search for a new office location is currently underway.
Anticipated annual salary ranges from $80,000 - $85,000, depending on qualifications and experience.
Anticipated Start Date
Send cover letter, resume and 3 references to the attention of Nate Echeverria, [email protected] with the Subject Line: CSSD Placemaking & Public Space Manager, and your first and last name. Submissions will be accepted until November 10, 2021.
CSSD is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration based on their abilities, attitude, and character without regard to race, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, disability, marital status, status as a veteran, or on any other basis prohibited by state or federal law. If you do not meet all the requirements but think you would be a great candidate for this position, you are encouraged to apply.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employee in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Our mission is to support prosperous and vibrant urban places around the downtown, waterfront, commercial, educational, medical and neighborhood communities.
Camden Special Services District (CSSD)
The CSSD is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, working to present the city’s best face to its business community, residents, students, and visitors. With more than 15 years working in the City of Camden, the CSSD maintains and improves the physical appearance of the city’s streets and public spaces through its highly regarded Clean and Safe Program. Services are provided through third-party contractors. Public space management activities include: Cleaning -Removing trash and debris from streets and sidewalks, emptying trash cans, removing graffiti and unwanted signage, and trimming/weeding tree wells, curb lines and sidewalks. Landscaping – Design and install and landscape maintenance of landscape beds, medians, parks, public and private spaces. Hospitality and Event Support - Delivering reliable hospitality, creating and maintaining inviting public spaces, and supporting public and private events.
CSSD collaborates with key institutions, businesses, corporations, community stakeholders and neighborhood groups in various capacities for a common purpose: to make Camden a beautiful vibrant city and a better place to live, work, visit and do business.
CSSD serves as the Business Management Corporation for the newly implemented Camden Business Improvement District (CBID), representing an area of approximately 150+ blocks. In addition to cleaning the business corridors, CBID cleaning activities now extend into neighborhoods within the district boundaries. Opportunities to improve the district are limited only by our imaginations as the CBID has a broad scope, in addition to cleaning, focus is on landscape enhancements, placemaking and marketing to support our business community. The CBID is funded through a city tax assessment and, as such, activities are subject to OPRA and OPMA requirements as well as city purchasing guidelines and budgeting requirements.
Email: [email protected]
Posted October 11, 2021, 4:09 PM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research