Assistant Transportation Planner
Omaha-Council Bluffs Metropolitan Area Planning Agency
Salary: $44,720 - $60,320
ASSISTANT PLANNER - TRANSPORTATION
OMAHA-COUNCIL BLUFFS METROPOLITAN AREA PLANNING AGENCY (MAPA)
MAPA is seeking a transportation planning professional to assist with ongoing transportation planning functions of the agency. This position is responsible for entry level planning and community development work with significant supervision. The position involves research, data gathering and analysis, drafting reports and studies, assisting in the preparation of plans and financial assistance applications, assisting with public engagement activities, and limited project management.
The candidate should possess strong verbal and written skills in order to communicate technical information effectively to the public and work effectively with stakeholders, partner agencies, and elected officials. The successful candidate will be able to develop and maintain strong working relationships. The candidate must be self-motivated and able to work and develop skills independently.
This position requires a bachelor's degree in urban planning, public administration, civil engineering or related field with one years’ experience (including internship experience) in transportation planning, city planning or another relevant field. A master’s degree may substitute one years’ experience. The candidate should possess knowledge of transportation planning principles, public engagement, and related federal, state and local guidelines and regulations. Candidates must be a self-starter and problem solver and should possess skills in Microsoft Office, GSuite, and/or web-based systems. Geographic Information Systems (GIS) experience is beneficial, but not required.
The Omaha metro area is a vibrant region with a low cost-of-living, highly-rated schools, and many exciting initiatives underway. A career at MAPA is an opportunity to work in an interesting field and make a difference in the region for years to come.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct planning related research, collect data, and report findings to others.
- Compose statistical tabulations, charts, graphs for use in studies, plans, and financial assistance applications.
- Assist in preparation of reports, studies, and plans.
- Assist in preparation of financial assistance applications.
- Involved in some elements of project administration and administration of federal transportation funding programs.
- Communicate with communities, state and federal agencies, other agency partners and staff.
- Makes occasional presentations.
- Performs other related work as required and assigned.
- Represents agency with various professional associations and regional organizations.
- Represents agency in presentations to boards and committees of member agencies and partner organizations
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a full-time, hourly / non-exempt position. Starting salary ranges from $44,720 - $60,320; and is dependent upon qualifications and experience. MAPA offers generous employee benefits as well as a flexible, supportive, and family friendly work environment with a commitment to ongoing professional development. Our office is located close to downtown Omaha, in a transit-oriented and bicycle-friendly environment. MAPA reserves the right to hire at an appropriate level. MAPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applications and resumes will be accepted through Sunday, October 24 . For more information on MAPA see our website www.mapacog.org.
If you have any questions please contact:
Christina Brownell | Director of Administration | [email protected]
Posted October 7, 2021, 10:39 AM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research