Tennessee Department of Transportation
AICP Certification: AICP PreferredApply Now
The Tennessee Department of Transportation is currently hiring a full-time Planning Supervisor for our Long-Range Planning (LRP) Division’s Data Visualization Office located at TDOT Headquarters in Davidson County, TN.
The Data Visualization Office (DVO) is the analytical GIS hub for spatial and non-spatial data across the Department. The DVO creatively interprets and decodes otherwise complicated planning information into useful and workable methodologies, maps, and tools. The DVO creates award-winning visual representations of transportation data using various graphical and analytical methods and provides in-depth GIS project support and guidance to other divisions, state agencies, and metropolitan/rural planning organizations. A Planning Supervisor is instrumental in developing solutions for several planning-related projects ranging from congestion management, hazard mitigation, bicycle and pedestrian safety, crash analytics, road performance and cost analysis and more. This position will further develop all ongoing research as shown on our website, contributing to our portfolio, as well as be responsible for developing new creative and innovative solutions.
- Lead an energetic team of professionals and DVO task assignments
- Coordinate GIS tasks to support various planning-related activities
- Conduct research on existing and emerging data concepts in order to support and facilitate the project delivery process
- Prepare specifications for consultant contracts, establish project time schedules, and develop research reports
- Provide technical assistance to numerous planning agencies to ensure proper implementation of state and federal planning policies and procedures.
- Develop new tools to improve the efficiency and productivity of planning operations by designing model concepts, writing computer programs or consulting with programmers, and testing the model for accuracy
This position directly impacts both leadership and the public in its delivery of solutions. The Supervisor works directly with Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) to develop and rank project plans for their regions on an annual basis. This core data is used by the Data Visualization office to provide Maps and Analytics to the Governor level as well as provide occasional aid to state legislature in the creation of GIS Maps showing projects in their areas. The goal and purpose of this position is to be innovative and use new technologies to push and keep up with trends in the field. Several instances of this can be found on our website. In thinking about public impact, the supervisor will continue to lead existing projects such as those around Pedestrian Safety. The impact of the Data Visualization office and this position can be translated internally and externally across divisional lines to better serve the public.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, transportation planning, public administration, civil engineering, landscape architecture, or another related field
- At least five (5) years of professional planning work
Special skills, knowledge or experience required or desired
- Managing/Supervising a group of professionals
- Experience with the transportation planning process
- GIS experience preferred
- GISP certification
- Roadway and graphics design experience
Applications must be submitted online.
Interested applications should apply online at:
Please click TDOT PLANNING SUPERVISOR -10062021-22797
Questions? Email [email protected]
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted October 6, 2021, 8:46 AM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research