Economic Development Director
City of St. Charles, IL
St. Charles, IL
Experience Level: Senior
AICP Certification: AICP Not required
Salary: $130,000 - $145,000 DOE/QApply Now
St. Charles, IL (population 33,366) is a premier community known for its historic downtown, vibrant business and commercial areas, beautiful neighborhoods and progressive, innovative government. The City is seeking economic development professionals as candidates for its reinstituted Director of Economic Development. Located in the scenic Fox Valley, St. Charles has over 2100 businesses, 7 TIF districts and a Business Improvement grant program. Known for its highly regarded business outreach and quality of development projects, the new Director will work closely with the business community, partner agencies including the St. Charles Business Alliance and chamber of commerce, elected officials and staff to enhance the economic vitality of the City.
Reporting to the City Administrator, the Director will focus on attracting real estate investment and business development to several high-profile economic development projects including multiple downtown mixed-use redevelopment sites, redevelopment and revitalization and reuse of Charlestowne Mall as well as the highly visible Pheasant Run development, the Randall Road corridor businesses, and the Central Manufacturing District to ensure their continued economic success. The successful candidate will take personal responsibility to promote and maintain the City’s long-term economic viability through the use of business analytics, fostering strong relationships in the community, region and statewide, and proposing creative solutions to development challenges.
The Director must possess refined communication and consensus building skills inside and outside of City Hall, a keen political acumen, an energetic and driven personality and a participatory management philosophy with a record of success in leading as well as collaborating on economic development efforts.
Qualified individuals will be expected to have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Finance, Business, Marketing, Public Administration or related field is required; a master’s degree is strongly desired along with 10 years increasingly responsible economic development leadership and at least five (5) years in supervisory experience.
- Extensive leadership skills to effectively and efficiently organize, direct and coordinate efforts to promote a stronger economic base and ensure programs and initiatives will attract new business and encourage expansion and retention of existing commercial and industrial business.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high profile economic development projects, evaluate and recommend economic incentives (including TIF incentives) in collaboration with Finance and Community Development departments.
- Skilled and resourceful in resident and business engagement; comfortable responding to complex issues while navigating policies and procedures with a focus on building a stronger, resilient St. Charles.
- Promote and develop the community through marketing strategies; establish personal relationships with business and property owners, developers and investors. Increased use of social media and business analytics is anticipated.
- A creative, problem-solving approach and well developed interpersonal and oral/written/presentation communication skills.
Current salary range is $127,077 - $181,539 with hiring range between $130,000 and $145,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Residency is not required. Apply online at www.govHRJobs.com with résumé, cover letter, and contact information for 5 professional references by October 25, 2021, Attn: Kathleen Rush, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847/380-3240.
Posted October 4, 2021, 9:48 AM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research