Code and Policy Senior Planner
City of Bellevue
Experience Level: Senior
Salary: $82,007.40 - $113,161.44 Annually
Bellevue is building the city of the future. Our welcoming, multicultural, innovation-focused community attracts technology pioneers, outdoor enthusiasts, and family-focused professionals from around the world. At Bellevue, you will be part of a team committed to providing exceptional customer service, upholding the public interest, and being a part of the community vision. Our people bring unique skills and qualities to the table, embrace the values of honesty, accountability, and commitment to service, and take pride in the work they do. You will work in an environment where being innovative, collaborative, and future-focused are the status quo. Bellevue welcomes the world. Our diversity is our strength. It is what makes Bellevue an exciting place to work, live, and explore.
We are looking for a Senior Planner to advance Council priorities, specifically related to the City's Affordable Housing Strategy and regulatory reform and programs related to housing needs in the City. The position is limited term and anticipated to last up to two and a half (2.5) years. This position will work primarily on housing-related projects and will focus on developing code amendments to implement policy direction. This position is expected to partner and coordinate throughout policy planning and code development, as well as work closely with staff within and outside of the Development Services Department.
Bellevue’s Development Services Department is part of is a multi-department Development Services line of business that offers one-stop shopping for general information and the permits needed for development activity in Bellevue and the surrounding service areas. We are code compliance officers, engineers, finance analysts, inspectors, planners, plans examiners, permit technicians, and support staff from the Development Services, Fire, Transportation, and Utilities departments. This position is a member of the Code and Policy team that works together with staff from other city departments in the development of city codes and regulations that unlock and guide future land uses that advance the City’s vision. Currently, the Code and Policy team is busy with several major projects such as the East Main Station Area Plan, Wilburton Plan, and Grand Connection, implementing amendments related to the City's Affordable Housing Strategy, amending the code to align with legislative changes, as well as multiple other code development efforts.
***This is a limited term position anticipated to last up to 2.5 years***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct complex technical analysis that may be used for many planning purposes, including affordable housing strategy implementation, special initiatives, and associated processes.
- Providing technical assistance to developers and property owners on the City’s affordable housing programs and incentives.
- Maintain familiarity with federal, state, regional, and local housing programs, policies, and regulations; analyzing and ensuring compliance with applicable requirements.
- Maintaining appropriate records; collecting and assembling data on assisted developments; preparing reports on program achievements and outcomes to assist with program evaluation and policy development.
- Providing information to residents and community groups.
- Participating in outreach efforts to publicize the City’s housing programs.
- Assisting with other City housing programs and special projects as needed.
- Work constructively in teams that span multiple departments and, at times, agencies, using communication and shared leadership skills to successfully collaborate and achieve multiple objectives.
- Communicate effectively with peers, City Council, Planning Commission, and other stakeholders on planning issues in a manner that develops and maintains positive relationships and advances the understanding of the issues at hand. Represent the City on various committees, at neighborhood organizations and community meetings, at public hearings, and before governmental bodies.
- Evaluate program accomplishments against established goals and timetables and make recommendations, based upon evaluation, that will be used in future projects.
- Be responsible for project outcomes.
- Draft, process, and manage planning initiatives and amendments to the Land Use Code and other development regulations.
- Gather, interpret, and prepare studies, analysis reports, and recommendations as part of the planning initiative and code amendment project or other needs, and/or for the City Council and other advisory bodies.
- Respond to changing Council priorities and economic development needs.
- Coordinate and collaborate with, and train other planners, reviewers, Code Compliance, and other affected City staff in the development of such initiatives and amendments.
- Represent the City at relevant regional and statewide forums.
- Coordinate and lead interdepartmental teams as necessary to achieve intended work program outcomes
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
- This position will work under the general supervision of the Code and Policy Planning Manager.
- No formal supervisory responsibilities but may act as lead to other staff
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in public policy, public administration, law, urban planning, or related field.
- Five or more years of professional related experience in development and codification of implementing regulations, public policy formulation, and implementation of legislative action/relations, and.
- Or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
Posted September 28, 2021, 3:17 PM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research