Zoning Associate Planner
Arlington County Government
Experience Level: Mid-Level
AICP Certification: AICP Not required
Salary: $73,632.00 - $112,507.20 AnnuallyApply Now
The Community Planning, Housing and Development (CPHD) Department is seeking a motivated and forward-thinking Zoning Associate Planner to join our Zoning Division to support professional planning and administrative operations including working within the PRIM team to assess development proposals for compliance with the Arlington County Zoning Ordinance (ACZO) and draft written correspondence on behalf of the Zoning Administrator based on their research and analysis.
The Zoning Division is responsible for providing a wide range of services related to the administration, interpretation, and enforcement of regulations contained in the Arlington County Zoning Ordinance.
- Performing research and analysis related to zoning, land use, development, and real estate regulations both broadly and for specific properties pursuant to Arlington County Zoning Ordinance (ACZO) and the Code of Virginia;
- Researching and drafting official zoning determinations and compliance letters on behalf of the Zoning Administrator;
- Serving as a staff contact for questions related to zoning processes and practices on internal teams and committees, including representing the Zoning Division to the Special Events Committee;
- Performing administrative and quality control activities associated with the filing and approval of zoning applications;
- Supporting the operation of the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) including staffing public hearing and drafting staff reports for BZA use permits and/or variances;
- Managing special projects, including researching and developing administrative processes to support the implementation of zoning ordinance amendments;
- Providing technical assistance and information to citizens, staff and the development community; and
- Overseeing content on the Zoning Division website.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or related field;
- Two (2) years of progressive experience in urban planning or design, specifically in zoning and/or land use development.
Substitution: Additional education may be substituted for experience.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with a Master’s Degree in a related field and experience in one or more of the following:
- Regulatory and administrative law related to zoning, land use, real estate, and development;
- Working with the community, neighborhood, non-profit and business groups, and public/private organizations; and/or
- Performing research and analysis relating to zoning, land use, development, and real estate regulations.
Posted September 25, 2021, 11:19 AM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research