Elizabeth Peterson Group (EPG)
Los Angeles, CA
AICP Certification: AICP Not required
Planner/Associate Planner Position Details Elizabeth Peterson Group (EPG) is seeking a Planner or Associate Planner, depending on experience and best fit. EPG is a dynamic land-use consulting firm headquartered in downtown Los Angeles.
EPG works with clients in municipalities throughout California with a specialization in adaptive reuse, hospitality development and mixed-use development. The Planner has a level of specialized knowledge of the planning field, including comprehensive planning, urban development and land use consulting.
The position requires 1-3+ years of professional planning experience, or an advance degree in Planning or Development, plus 1-2 years of job experience. EPG offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
The Planner/Associate Planner will be responsible for managing the entitlement process from initial project research through final approval with little immediate supervision, while also being an effective member of a small team. The job requires the Associate Planner to identify and anticipate obstacles and suggest solutions and strategies as part of the problem-solving process.
The Associate Planner must have an understanding and love of Los Angeles and surrounding municipalities, their various neighborhoods, history and politics. Job Functions & Requirements
• Manages project timeline and due dates; ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
• Manages client relations, including communication and with city officials and community stakeholders;
• Manages city requirements, including fees and document submissions
• Attends all meetings, including some evening meetings, and is available for all conference calls related to assigned cases
• Manages outreach and prepares high-quality presentation materials for assigned cases
• Presents at all neighborhood council and community/stakeholder meetings
• Relays information and updates to client on a daily/weekly basis
• Identifies out of scope of work and communicates additional permits/licenses client may need
• Prepares, files and submits any additional permits identified or required for completion of the job, including ABC license, police permits, sellers permits, business license, health permit, etc
• Knowledgeable in construction and plan check
• Conducts research and prepares analysis on land use issues Knowledge & Skills
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of planning & zoning in Southern California
• An understanding of Los Angeles, its neighborhoods, politics, and composition
• High-level written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate around complex and sensitive topics clients, public agency staff, elected official staff, neighborhood representatives
• Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems
• Ability to review plans and apply provisions of city ordinances and codes to determine compliance with regulations and identify necessary approvals
• Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
• Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed
• Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind
• Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which may include Microsoft Office, Internet applications, Zoom, and GIS
• Ability to create graphic designs, development strategies, and render site plans via sketches and/or computer graphics highly desirable.
• Must be able to commute between EPG’s downtown office and locations in downtown and beyond in a timely manner to conduct document pick up and drop off.
Apply by submitting a resume and brief cover letter detailing your qualifications to Annette Zilinskas at [email protected] by Oct. 21, 2021.
We appreciate your interest in working with us at EPG!
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted September 21, 2021, 2:04 PM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
City Of Oakland
Hillsborough County Public Schools
City of Raleigh