Planning and Building Director
City of Calistoga
Experience Level: Senior
AICP Certification: AICP Preferred
Salary: $128,238 - $214,363 ANNUALLY DOE/DOQ
This position reports to the City Manager. The Director plans, organizes and provides direction and oversight to all functions and activities of the Planning and Building Department.
As Planning and Building Director, you will:
▪ Assume full responsibility for all Planning and Building Department programs, services, and activities, including planning, permitting, code enforcement and special projects.
▪ Manage and participate in the development and administration of the department’s annual budget; direct the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies.
▪ Select, train, motivate and direct department personnel; evaluate and review work for acceptability and conformance with department standards, including program and project priorities, and performance evaluations.
▪ Develop and make presentations to the Planning Commission, City Council and community groups.
▪ Interpret and apply applicable federal and state laws, and local codes and regulations, including those governing general plans, subdivisions, environmental quality, zoning and land use.
▪ Meet with developers, engineers, property owners, contractors, and other agencies to discuss merits and concerns of development proposals; provide various parties with guidance on how to proceed; oversee negotiations and agreements regarding development and environment-related issues.
▪ Maintain and direct the maintenance of working and official division files.
As the Planning and Building Director, you will be involved in specialized duties such as:
▪ The 2022 Calistoga Housing Element update
▪ Long-term planning efforts, such as the downtown streetscape plan
▪ The development of affordable housing, including negotiations with nonprofit developers
▪ Submit applications for, and manage grants including CDBG
▪ Consultant proposals for professional services and implementing contracts
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted September 20, 2021, 3:53 PM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research