City of Scotts Valley
Scotts Valley, CA
Experience Level: Senior
AICP Certification: AICP Not required
Salary: $6,933 - $9,291/ month (DOQ)
The City of Scotts Valley is seeking a Senior Planner. The Senior Planner position will report to the Community Development Director on a variety of projects, and will be responsible for both current and advanced planning activities, including processing of complex development projects. The position will also provide guidance to planning staff.
The ideal candidate will be able to review projects, prepare reports, analyze data, and coordinate with the Building and Public Works Departments. Persons with a high level of integrity, enthusiasm for their work, and an ability to work well with clients of all types, is desired. Planners have the opportunity to gain a broad range of experience and the satisfaction of taking a project from inception to completion.
Specific competencies should include strong interpersonal skills and predisposition for innovation, ability to write and communicate verbally with a variety of audiences. This position requires a person who is flexible and able to work on a variety of projects at one time. Working knowledge of planning principles and practices, CEQA, and Affordable Housing is desired.
The City is a vibrant team oriented environment with a tremendous opportunity to guide the current and future design of the City.
The Senior Planner will be involved in a variety of projects including the General Plan Update and future Town Center. More detailed information, including a job flyer and complete job description are available on the City's website at the following link: http://www.scottsvalley.org/334/Employment-Opportunities
The salary range for the Senior Planner is $6,933 - $9,291 / month (DOQ). The City also offers an attractive benefits package including:
- Retirement: California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CALPERS). State laws have established the following retirement requirements:
- Classic Members: Retirement formula of 2.5% at 55 based on a single highest year compensation with employee paying an 8% contribution.
- New Members: Retirement formula of 2% at 62, based on a 3 year final compensation period, with employee paying a 6.75% contribution.
- Social Security: The City participates in Social Security.
- Excellent Health Benefits: The City contracts with CalPERS for a variety of medical plans and offers tiered coverage of medical benefit premiums. Based on the employee’s choice of medical plans, City contributions pay for most or all of the medical benefit premium for an employee and eligible dependents. The City also pays 100% of premiums for vision coverage and has a self-insured dental plan. Retiree medical: Retiree medical contribution for employee and spouse.
- Vacation: 12-23 days annually depending on years of service.
- Administrative Leave: 56 hours per year for mid-management employees.
- Holidays: 14 designated days and 2 floating holidays per year.
- Sick Leave: 12 days per year.
- Life Insurance: City paid life insurance policy of $50,000.
To Apply: Please visit our website to apply for this opportunity. A completed City application is required and can be obtained on the City’s website at the following link: http://www.scottsvalley.org/334/Employment-Opportunities
Resumes will be screened according to qualifications. The most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the City’s interview process. References will be contacted only following candidate approval.
Filing Deadline: Continuous, Application review on October 1, 2021 (A City Employment Application is required)
If you have questions, please contact:
Tracy Ferrara, City Clerk
1 Civic Center Drive
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
Posted September 17, 2021, 11:41 AM PDT
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
Rowan University's Department of Geography, Planning, & Sustainability
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research