Land Use Planner
AKS Engineering & Forestry
Experience Level: Mid-Level
AICP Certification: AICP Not requiredApply Now
AKS Engineering & Forestry has an immediate opening for a Land Use Planner in our Bend, Oregon office. You will work alongside a team of experienced land use planners and other professionals providing support for a wide variety of site development and infrastructure improvement projects. If you thrive in fast-paced environments and love the challenges that comes with this type of consulting work, then this is an outstanding opportunity to work side-by-side with a well-respected and talented team of professionals in a dynamic organization.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Landscape Architecture, Geography, or related field or equivalent work experience is required
- Displays critical thinking abilities and is a creative and realistic solution provider
- 2-5 years of relevant experience performing land use planning/land development related activities
- Ability to manage multiple and conflicting deadlines; and prioritize workload
- Excellent written communication skills including letter and report writing, preferably land use permit applications
- Knowledge of Oregon’s Statewide Planning System
- Experience interpreting and applying City and County Comprehensive Plans and Development Codes
- Excellent speaking skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with co-workers, clients, permitting agency staff, and other project team members
- Work independently while providing support to the Senior Land Use Planner(s) with minimal supervision while collaborating with other multidisciplinary team members
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficient with word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, and scheduling software (Microsoft Office Suite, Project, Adobe, etc.)
- Proficiency in use of AutoCAD/Civil 3D, Photoshop, and GIS a plus
Job Functions & Responsibilities: This full-time position will provide support for site development projects by applying land use policy and regulations and managing the preparation of land use entitlement documents. Working with a Senior Land Use Planner, responsibilities will include:
- Performing timely and accurate property, zoning, and utility research by way of internet/GIS investigation and through telephone/in-person inquiries to ensure compliance with municipal land use regulations
- Analyzing, assessing, and breaking down complex issues affecting property, transportation networks, utility infrastructure, etc. to respond to client inquiries, assessing the feasibility of property development, and creating a path forward.
- Developing clearly written and detailed scopes of work for proposals
- Coordinating with clients on project data and scheduling
- Preparing, organizing, coordinating with project team members, submitting required materials (may include land use applications that require plats, rezones, conditional use, and site plan reviews) and coordinating pre-application conferences as necessary
- Setting up, organizing, and attending neighborhood meetings
- Effectively and efficiently coordinating with in-house engineering, surveying, and landscape architectural co-workers, permitting agency staff, and other project team members
- Assisting with the preparation and submittal of high quality applications for complex technical land use permits and entitlements covering a diverse range of projects
- Creating, organizing, and maintaining project schedules, defining critical paths, and tracking milestone dates
- Developing and maintaining effective positive working relationships with co-workers, clients, permitting agency staff, and other project team members
- Able to travel out of town, overnight on occasion as necessary
- Taking personal responsibility for completing quality work within budgets and timelines
- Doing what needs to be done
AKS is a locally owned infrastructure engineering firm that provides professional consulting services to municipal and private clients in the Pacific Northwest. Our company provides a unique combination of services including civil engineering, surveying, planning, natural resources, landscape architecture, arboriculture, water resources, GIS, construction support, and forestry. With this combination of professionals, we bring a holistic approach to problem-solving that allows us to implement solutions that may not be obvious when viewed from a single perspective. We have an established, broad-based portfolio of clients including land owners, real-estate developers, architects, government agencies, public service providers, timberland owners, and others. With four offices and nearly 25 years in business, AKS is a well-respected and trusted resource to our clients. AKS is consistently ranked among the top 10 largest consulting engineering firms in the Portland metropolitan region. Despite our growth, we have remained true to our values and diligently maintain our focus on quality. Visit our website at www.aks-eng.com for additional information about the work we do.
AKS is not your typical consulting firm. We have created a unique work environment that is professional, friendly, casual, hardworking, and fun. With a reputation built on personal responsibility, straight answers, practical solutions, and above all else, client service, AKS has become a highly sought-after place to work. In fact, AKS was recognized by The Oregonian as one of the Top Workplaces of 2018 and 2019. We specifically place our offices closer to where our employees live providing us faster response to our clients and a shorter drive to work for most employees. We emphasize building long-term relationships with clients at all levels of our organization and this philosophy has allowed us to expand and grow. Every employee is treated as a valuable asset and everyone’s voice matters.
AKS values our employees and proudly provides competitive compensation, benefits, and special perks. Checkout the Careers page of our website for more information on all that AKS offers.
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted September 10, 2021, 2:56 PM PDT