Assistant Director Community Development and Planning
City of Cedar Rapids
Cedar Rapids, IA
Experience Level: Mid-Level
AICP Certification: AICP Preferred
Salary: $80,808.00 - $113,089.60 Annually
Provides leadership in the development of long-range local and regional plans and planning activities, including transportation, land use, and others and leads cross functional teams that interact with many different jurisdictions and City Departments.
Position Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
Examples of Essential Duties:
- Manages the development of community policy. Coordinates with multiple City departments, external stakeholders, and partners. Assists with development and initial implementation of new policy related to Community Development and Corridor Metropolitan Planning Organization initiatives.
- Manages the development, coordination, and participation in the strategic planning, data collections, and reporting activities of Community Development and Corridor Metropolitan Planning Organization initiatives.
- Oversees the planning, development, and evaluation of operational processes, procedures, and functions of the programs and procedures of Community Development programs and projects.
- Supervises the work of assigned personnel, including assigning and reviewing work, providing guidance, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Manages coordination and oversight of planning efforts that include professional consulting services and of programs implemented by a third party administrator, including the provision of the scope of services, defined program guidelines, performance expectation, and desired outcomes, progress reporting, and communication systems.
- Researches community needs and reports findings and recommendations as a part of planning initiatives.
- Responsible for preparation of materials for City Council, Corridor Metropolitan Planning Organization Policy Board, and other Boards and Commissions as appropriate.
- Manages, monitors, and issues regular reports related to citywide TIF budgets and financing.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Urban and Regional Planning, Urban Design, Public Administration, or a related field and
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in Professional Planning of land use, transportation, and economic development or
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Supervisory experience
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population
Required Licenses or Certifications
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Project management principles
- Federal, state, and local laws, policies, and procedures
- Federal, state, and local procurement and reporting requirements and the federal aid process
- Planning principles and practices
- Regional transportation planning and funding
- Current procedures and practices involved in land development issues
- Assigning, prioritizing, monitoring, and reviewing work assignments
- Communicating effectively with internal and external stakeholders using both technical and non-technical language
- Work collaboratively and develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Gather information needed for budget development
- Facilitate multidisciplinary teams
- Produce technical reports and other correspondence
- Organize and facilitate public engagement activities
- Prepare ordinances, resolutions, and contractual agreements
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted September 9, 2021, 10:58 AM PDT