Hillsborough Planning Commission
Experience Level: Mid-Level
AICP Certification: AICP Preferred
Senior Planner-Comprehensive Plan Policy Review Division
Hiring Salary Range $57,420.40-66,092.00/DOQ
About Plan Hillsborough
Plan Hillsborough provides value-added planning services through a diverse team of professionals working towards a thriving future for Tampa, Temple Terrace, Plant City, and Hillsborough County, and provides staff to the Hillsborough County City-County Planning Commission, the Hillsborough County Transportation Planning Organization and the Hillsborough River Interlocal Planning Board.
At Plan Hillsborough, your work matters. We are looking for individuals who want to join a team that believes in turning challenges that come with growth into opportunities for a thriving future. If this is you, read below to learn more about this opportunity to be a part of Plan Hillsborough!
What to Expect
Performs professional planning duties researching and analyzing information to write reports in support of the development, evaluation, monitoring and implementation of comprehensive planning studies, plans, programs, and land development regulations. This position reports to the Hillsborough County Liaison and is part of the Comprehensive Plan Policy Review Division.
What Qualifications are Needed
A Master's degree in Planning, Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Geography, or a closely related field of study; and
Three or more years of professional experience as a planner.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
What Qualifications are Nice to Have
The possession of an American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) designation or a job-related certification.
What You Will Be Doing
- Creates Consistency Finding Reports for ongoing applications, which include re-zonings, planned development, vacating, land development regulations, etc., which may also include site visits, meetings with county staff, meetings with applicants, and writing reports.
- Researches Comprehensive Plan Amendments to include writing reports and presenting findings at meetings.
- Assists with background research on any planning related areas of importance such as BOCC workshop preparation tasks.
- Provides customer assistance, responds to phone and e-mail contacts; provides planning assistance to the general public regarding various land use projects.
- May conduct long-range planning special projects.
- Learns multiple comprehensive plans.
- Performs other related duties as required.
What You Need to Be Successful
- Considerable knowledge of comprehensive planning principles and practices
- Considerable knowledge of state and local planning laws and procedures.
- Working knowledge of GIS.
- Skill in making presentations to elected and appointed officials and boards
- Skill in writing concise technical staff reports
- Skill in interpreting plans and policies
- Skill in Microsoft Office, electronic document management, SharePoint, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Able to work both independently and as a team
- Ability to manage projects effectively and meet firm deadlines
- Ability to conduct studies, analyze findings, determine trends and/or make recommendations.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously,
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with our client governments
- Ability to critically think and analyze policies and applications
- Ability to proof own work and the work of others
- Ability to prioritize work
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to collect, organize and evaluate data and to develop logical conclusions, reports and presentations.
- Ability to use appropriate computer applications
What Our Culture Looks Like
Plan Hillsborough embraces and celebrates the diversity of the communities we serve while also seeking the same of our employees. At Plan Hillsborough, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
What Accountability Means to Us
Everyone is responsible to consistently put forth the highest quality work effort. The agency will follow through in setting, measuring, and addressing clear expectations and taking actions to ensure all meet these expectations.
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted September 3, 2021, 12:11 PM PDT