Seeking Creative, Energetic Team Members
Experience Level: Mid-Level
AICP Certification: AICP Preferred
Salary: $60,000 - $90,000
Clarion Associates is a nationally recognized consulting firm specializing in community planning, zoning, sustainability and resilience, and historic preservation. We have offices in Denver and Chapel Hill and affiliated offices in Cincinnati and Philadelphia. We have assisted over 200 U.S. cities and counties to plan for their futures. Clarion is highly regarded as a firm that forms strong partnerships with each of our client communities. We tackle complex projects and find creative solutions that lead to adoption and implementation. We are known for building public support for ambitious local planning efforts. Learn more at www.clarionassociates.com.
About the Positions
We are actively seeking full-time associates in our Denver and Chapel Hill offices. We strive to cross-train our team members and will work with successful candidates to tailor a position to fit their areas of expertise and interests. However, the successful candidates should have experience and interest in the following core practice areas:
- Comprehensive Planning. This practice area involves research and analysis of trends and best practices; preparation of community outreach materials and participation in public meetings; advanced GIS analysis and mapping; and preparation and proofreading of complex and graphic-rich plan documents.
- Development Codes. This practice area involves drafting innovative and user-friendly zoning and land use regulations to implement local plans, as well as research and analysis of trends and best practices; preparation of community outreach materials and participation in public meetings; and preparation and proofreading of complex and graphic-rich code documents. A law degree or experience with regulatory drafting is a plus, as is experience creating graphics to convey complex regulatory concepts.
All team members assist in preparing proposals to win new work, attend meetings, prepare presentations, collect and analyze data, and—because we are a small firm—generally pitch in wherever needed. A combination of in-person and remote work is offered.
Strong candidates for the positions are:
- Have excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Appreciate the ability to work on (and balance) a wide range of assignments
- Have a Master’s degree in urban planning or a related field with a minimum of four years of professional work experience, or a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of six years of professional work experience; mid-career professionals are encouraged to apply
- Are proficient in Word and Excel (Sketch-Up, ArcGIS, InDesign, and Illustrator are pluses)
- Are willing to travel both regionally and nationally to support our clients (in accordance with COVID-19 restrictions)
- Are willing to work hard to help foster positive change in America’s cities, counties, and regions!
- Are enthusiastic about planning and land-use consulting – because the work we do matters, and it changes the future!
Additional “great to have,” but non-essential skills and characteristics include:
- Spanish fluency
- Project management experience, including direct client contact and coordination of subconsultants, and other professionals as needed during all stages of project development
- Graphics and visualization expertise
- Prior experience working in consulting and/or a general interest in learning the business end of consulting
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is based on your experience, performance, and location. Salary range for Associates is $60,000-$80,000 and Senior Associates is $80,000-$90,000, with the opportunity for performance-based bonuses twice each year.
Clarion Associates offers competitive benefits to all full-time employees, including full health insurance coverage, 401K plan with a 3% annual employer contribution, ten days of PTO and eight personal days accrued annually to start (up to 20 days PTO based on tenure), eight paid holidays, an annual transit pass, coverage of AICP and other professional dues, and a variety of professional development opportunities.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Clarion Associates provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
Please send a resume and cover letter, no more than one page each, along with a writing sample of no more than five pages and two to three samples of your graphic abilities (if applicable) to [email protected]. We will consider resume submissions as they arrive.
Email: [email protected]Website:
Posted August 30, 2021, 8:24 AM PDT