Fairbanks North Star Borough Community Planning Department
Experience Level: Mid-Level
AICP Certification: AICP Preferred
To implement the Comprehensive Plan by administering the Zoning Code, special studies, and providing information to the general public concerning land use.
- Review and authorize zoning permits, flood plain permits and base flood elevations and certificates to determine compliance with the zoning, subdivision, and other ordinances. Advise the public of other applicable laws and regulations; refer to appropriate agency, as needed.
- Perform field inspections, investigations and technical review of land use and development requests, conditional uses, zoning variances, rezones, etc.
- Gather and analyze data, consult the public and other agencies, prepare staff reports and formulate department recommendations regarding land use and development requests; including oral presentations at Planning Commission, Borough Assembly, and other public meetings.
- Interpret ordinances; prepare position paper and department recommendations regarding possible revisions and new ordinances.
- Review platting requests for conformance with Zoning and Flood Plain ordinances.
- Review and authorize zoning permits, flood plain permits and other related permits, and provide base flood elevations and certificates to determine compliance with the Zoning, Subdivision, and other ordinances.
- Maintain databases on zoning, flood plain and other permits, etc.
- Assist with the creation of a permit tracking system for the department.
- Assemble, interpret and prepare information regarding special studies and provide input and make recommendations to other agencies performing studies that affect the Borough.
- Assist other staff with planning projects as needed.
- Provide the public with technical interpretations of Borough zoning, land use, flood zone, subdivision and related codes.
- Manage planning projects or special studies and provide technical direction to staff working on said projects
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college in planning (urban, regional, transportation), engineering, geography or closely related field and two years of professional experience in land use planning or enforcement. A graduate degree in planning, engineering, geography or closely-related field of study may be substituted for one year of the experience requirement.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare accurate and concise reports and to present data in an effective manner, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer for a variety of computer programs (MS Word & Excel required: Database experience and Adobe Illustrator preferred) type at a proficient level. Ability to operate a variety of office machines (copier, scanner, fax, multi-function phone, printers etc.)
- Experience with GIS software and the creation and modification of geographic data preferred. Experience with applicable ESRI software products preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with flood plain management is preferred.
- AICP preferred.
- Must have and be able to maintain a valid driver’s license. Must meet insurance standards and maintain insurability under the Borough's insurance program. If personal automobile is used for Borough business, proof of automobile insurance at statutory limits must be provided. (A CURRENT COPY OF DRIVING RECORD WILL BE REQUIRED UPON REQUEST.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of land use planning theory, practice, process, ordinances and their applications.
2. Ability to independently administer high volume zoning and subdivision ordinances and prepare recommendations on a variety of situations.
3. Ability to manage projects or special studies and provide technical direction to staff working on said projects.
4. Ability to conduct investigative research and deal with the public in a tactful and courteous manner under adverse and stressful conditions.
1. A PROFICIENCY TEST MAY BE ADMINISTERED. A writing sample may be required at time of interview.
2. This position requires a criminal background check.
Continuous contact with employees at all levels of the Borough; continuous routine public contact and frequent contact involving outside organizations/agencies.
Supervisor responsibilities: directs work flow of permanent/temporary/seasonal/volunteers; experiences minor problems daily and occasional major ones that must be resolved with virtually no supervision using own initiative and ingenuity; with little immediate supervision; the consequences of error, carelessness or mistaken judgment require serious effort to recover.
For the purpose of this job description, "supervisor" means providing technical work direction and oversight. It does not include the ability to employ, promote, transfer, evaluate performance, discipline, suspend, discharge or adjudicate grievances; those are management responsibilities handled by the manager/director level.
Private/semi-private office with good, clean conditions; while in the field, there is minor accidents/hazard probability; requires short periods of light lifting, pushing or pulling (1-25 lbs).
Individuals interested in applying for this position must submit a completed online application on or before the closing date and time as specified in the Job Posting. On line applications can be located at www.fnsb.gov by clicking the “Find a Job” Button.
For additional information please call (907) 459-1202 or the Borough Direct Job Line at (907) 459-1206.
The Borough complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation to participate in the application/interview/selection process, contact the Human Resources Office at (907)459-1202 or the EEO office. The EEO Compliance Officer can be contacted at (907) 459-1309.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Posted August 27, 2021, 1:54 PM PDT