Under the guidance of the Planning Manager, this position is responsible for performing technical, professional and analytical work as well as day-to-day activities related to transit service planning and scheduling, including using a scheduling software system, development of plans for bus routes, database upkeep, and bus operator work runs.
- Assists with developing plans for fixed-route transit service, including evaluating system performance, and making recommendations for change as needed to ensure service meets District goals and objectives
- Applies knowledge of databases to track, maintain and update inventory of bus stops, geo-coordinates, amenities, and use reasoning skills to identify and correct data as needed
- Conducts interagency review of transportation plans; reviews and comments on proposed land use developments or road projects to promote the incorporation of pro-transit policies and measures.
- Coordinate printing and review of schedule data for passenger information panels posted at bus stops, conduct field work as needed to ensure information is correctly displayed, and conduct field assessments at bus stops.
- Collects and summarizes feedback from bus operators and passengers and make appropriate recommendations.
- Assists with creation of fixed route bus schedules, run cuts and route changes, including exporting data from scheduling software systems and interface with other systems such as automatic passenger counters, vehicle location systems and other transit technology.
- Assists with coordination of public outreach events, including set up, speaking with members of the public, working with internal staff and transit guides to disseminate information to the public
- Maintains route profile and performance data using complex spreadsheets
- Reads and analyze demographic and geographic data, apply spatial data analysis skills to graphically display ridership and demographic trends, and communicate trends
- Collects and record ridership data using appropriate software, prepare ridership reports as required.
- Monitors and evaluates on-time performance data, propose schedule adjustments as needed.
- Initiates and perform research and document findings, make written recommendations including maps and graphics to display concepts
- Researches complaints, problems and prepare responses for management, including composing correspondence.
- Provides support for Paratransit Operations, including preparing reports, researching contract compliance, analyzing ridership and performance data and other duties as required
- Performs related duties as assigned
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
May be assigned additional responsibilities as required.
All candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Planning, Transportation Planning, Statistics, Mathematics, Geography, Environmental Science, or related field; AND a minimum of (1 year) of professional experience. A Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Planning, Transportation Planning, Statistics, Mathematics, Geography, Environmental Science, or related field may substitute for experience. OR;
A combination of related education and professional experience conducting transit/transportation planning or scheduling may substitute for education based on a year-for-year basis, depending on the type of experience.
- Modern transit system operating principles and practices.
- Strong mathematics, data collection, spreadsheet, and spatial analysis skills
- Computer programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Pro, GIS, Google Earth
- Preparing written correspondence and reports including creation tables and quality graphics
- Preferred: Knowledge of mapping data, GIS, database management
- Analyze operating data, identify issues and recommend appropriate solutions
- Work independently, self-starter, using strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to learn to use a scheduling software system
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
- Develop, read, and interpret rules, policies and procedures
- Operate standard office equipment.
- Maintain tact, poise and professional demeanor in the workplace and with the public
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS: A valid California driver’s license.