Environmental Planner / Project Manager
ENVIRONMENTAL PLANNER / PROJECT MANAGER
The City of Hoboken is seeking a qualified planner and project manager to serve in the Department of Environmental Services, focusing on environmental projects.
The City of Hoboken is a one square-mile city of 53,000 residents along the Hudson River. Hoboken was certified as the first LEED Gold City in New Jersey by the U.S. Green Building Council in 2019, and achieved Silver Certification from Sustainable Jersey in 2017. The City is currently pursuing the Sustainable Jersey Gold Star in energy, as well as the ICLEI Race to Zero. As an urban coastal city, Hoboken is particularly vulnerable to the effects of climate change, which continues to threaten quality of life for Hoboken residents.
To mitigate climate change, the City is implementing a Climate Action Plan that seeks to achieve net zero energy for municipal operations by 2025 and the City by 2030, as well as carbon neutrality for municipal operations by 2035 and the City by 2050. To adapt to climate change, the City is implementing a Green Building & Environmental Sustainability Element of the Hoboken Master Plan, a Green Infrastructure Strategic Plan, and the Hudson River Rebuild by Design Project.
A high priority strategy within these plans is “parks as defense,” meaning parks that can delay, store, and discharge stormwater to mitigate rainfall flooding. The City has added 11 acres of parkland since 2010, an increase of 40%, with an additional 8 acres planned for future parks. Three of these are resiliency parks, including Southwest and 7th & Jackson Park, and the Northwest Resiliency Park currently under construction. Parkland is a significant priority of Hoboken residents, who approved an increase to the Open Space and Historic Preservation Trust Fund via referendum in 2019. Maintaining City Parks using sustainable landscape management practices is critical to their success. The City recently completed a Landscape Management Plan to guide operations and maintenance of City parks.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
- Support implementation of Climate Action Plan, Green Building & Environmental Sustainability Element of the Hoboken Master Plan, Green Infrastructure Strategic Plan, and Hudson River Rebuild by Design Project
- Update Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory and Climate Action Plan
- Coordinate the Hoboken Green Team including attending monthly evening virtual meetings, developing agendas, and tracking action items
- Maintain LEED for Cities certification by updating data annually in Arc Platform
- Maintain Sustainable Jersey certification by updating documentation on Sustainable Jersey website biennially
- Examples of special projects:
- Develop and implement community education program for energy efficiency and Renewable Energy Aggregation Program
- Apply for Sustainable Jersey Gold Star status
- Prepare reports such as ICLEI Race to Zero Report and UN Sustainable Development Goals Assessment Report
- Support implementation of Landscape Management Plan
- Develop and maintain GIS data, mapping, and ArcGIS online story maps and initiatives pages for parks, trees, and green infrastructure
- Develop park volunteer projects for Spring Fling and Hoboken Grace 1 Day events
- Coordinate with the Friends of the Parks Groups; facilitate development of future Friends of Parks Groups
- Examples of special projects:
- Work with graphic designer to implement Citywide park signage project
- Implement a work order software in Spatial Data Logic
- Develop and maintain Tree Inventory in ArcGIS
- Develop and maintain Streetlight Inventory in ArcGIS
- Planning and project management, such as:
- Capital planning
- Contract management
- Developing requests for proposals
- Preparing City Council resolutions
- Managing consultants as needed (e.g., such as Community Forestry Management Plan Update, Greenhouse Gas Inventory Update)
- Grants management and administration (e.g., Hudson County Open Space Trust Fund, Sustainable Jersey Small Grants)
- Community outreach and engagement, including:
- Developing surveys, GIS mapping, and other engagement tools
- Working with stakeholder committees or organizations (e.g., Shade Tree Commission, Hoboken Business Alliance, Green Team, Historic Preservation Commission)
- Managing content on the City website
- Responding to 311 requests, emails and phone inquiries
- Drafting press releases
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Two (2) years of experience in planning and project management
- Strong teamwork skills, and ability to work closely and collaboratively with team members
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to multi-task
- Able to learn new skills and take direction
- Outgoing and comfortable with public speaking and community outreach activities
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills, including but not limited to Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite, and ArcGIS especially ArcGIS Online
- Experience in sustainability and resiliency preferred
- Experience in parks and landscape management preferred
- Experience volunteering and/or managing volunteers preferred
- Experience in plan implementation preferred
- Experience in capital planning preferred
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in fields related to environmental planning, urban planning, landscape architecture, environmental or civil engineering, environmental science or studies, environmental policy, natural resource management, or natural sciences.
No professional licensure is required; AICP, PP, or RLA preferred.
Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
Negotiable, commensurate with experience.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Hoboken is an equal opportunity employer. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of religion, national origin, sex, age, handicap, marital status, or status as a disabled veteran.