Director of Development Services/Zoning Administrator
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this document are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements and duties of the Director/Zoning Administrator include but are not limited to:
Requirements of the Job:
- Bachelor’s Degree (land-use planning, urban planning, landscape architecture, public administration - preferred) or closely related field.
- Minimum of four years’ experience in planning. Equivalent education and experience would be considered.
- Must be a reliable, organized and trustworthy team player that is self-motivated in a fast-paced environment.
- Competent computer skills using common programs such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook; GIS applications and using the internet.
- Ability and willingness to learn.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Thorough knowledge of Indiana zoning laws and comprehensive plans including their formation, process of adoption and enforcement, extensive knowledge of planning programs and processes
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with surveyors, engineers, architects, contractors, developers, owners, supervisors, employees and the general public
- Ability to establish effective working relationships
- Manages and supervises planning operations to achieve goals within available resources; plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments; trains, motivates and evaluates assigned staff; reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
- Comply with any and all policies and procedures of DeKalb County Planning Commission, DeKalb County Board of Zoning Appeals and DeKalb County Government.
- Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long term plans; gathers, interprets and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations; coordinates department activities with other departments and agencies as necessary.
- Coordinate day to day main office operations.
Additional Job Duties:
- Some outdoor work required in the inspection of various land use developments and construction sites.
- Attend seminars/workshops/special meetings as a representative of the Plan Commission.
- Prepare reports and studies as directed by Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals
- Attend weekly staffing and ‘outside of regular hours’ meetings with planning and zoning boards.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Regular office hours ar 8 am to 4 pm with a couple monthly meetings outside of those hours. Salary is $57,000/annually. Please provide a resume, cover letter, references and/or letters of recommendation by 4:00 pm on Friday, April 30, 2021, to:
Dotty Miller, Director of Human Resources
100 South Main Street
Auburn, IN 46706
Fax: (260) 333-0235 -Or- [email protected]
**All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.