Planning Services Manager
Knoxville-Knox County Planning is looking for a creative and dedicated individual to join our team. This is a senior level management position that oversees the Planning Services division, which administers development regulations and processes applications for rezonings, plan reviews, subdivisions, and sector plan amendments for the City of Knoxville and Knox County. The division also studies community growth patterns and prepares plans that guide City and County policies. In addition to overseeing the Planning Services division, this position may also be delegated responsibility for assisting the Executive Director in all aspects of agency and program supervision and coordination.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience preparing plans and policies for land use, multi-modal transportation, community facilities, environmental protection, historic preservation, and urban design. He/she will also have experience with team and resource management, program design, and budgeting. Excellent communication and customer service skills and the ability to work closely with elected and appointed officials are essential.
A regular day in this position might involve leading a staff meeting, reviewing staff reports for an upcoming Planning Commission meeting, discussing a development request with City and County officials, answering questions from residents and developers over the phone and by email, and serving as agency representative at a City Council or County Commission session.
Typical job duties include:
- Communicate with individuals and groups, both within and outside the organization, on agency policies, programs, decisions, and actions
- Meet with official bodies and committees, and represent Planning at public meetings
- Serve on Planning’s management team and coordinate work of Planning Services with other agency divisions
- Recommend policies and actions to the Executive Director and assist in administering policies
- Supervise Planning Services staff by monitoring assigned projects and evaluating job performance
- Write and oversee development of monthly staff reports and recommendations regarding land use proposals for consideration by the Planning Commission
- Oversee preparation of the monthly Planning Commission agenda package
- Provide customer service to developers, engineers, surveyors, architects, property owners, business owners, and residents
- Supervise maintenance and amendments of City and County zoning and subdivision regulations
- Oversee and prepare position papers, reports related to planning and growth management, and analyses on complex issues and projects in land use and transportation issues
- Prepare Planning Services portion of agency’s budget and work program
Skills we are looking for:
- Ability to supervise professional, technical, and support personnel
- Ability to effectively explain technical problems, regulations, and complex ideas
- Ability to manage teams and guide projects to successful completion within tight deadlines
- Ability to make and enforce decisions in a tactful, positive, and productive manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with governmental officials, employees, the public, the media, the Planning Commission, and elected officials
- Extensive knowledge of practices, principles, and regulations of urban development, land use, and transportation planning
- Extensive knowledge of sources of information to analyze and report on planning issues and policies
- Extensive knowledge of local government and intergovernmental relations
- Extensive knowledge of legal and legislative constraints and policies affecting work of the division
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Master’s degree in urban planning or related field
- Eight years of experience in project management, supervision of personnel, and working with local government officials and the public
- Membership in American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Send your resume, cover letter, and three references to:
Knoxville-Knox County Planning
Suite 403, 400 Main Street
Knoxville, TN 37902
Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed. If you opt to submit application materials electronically (email, Indeed, Planetizen, or other digital portal), it is your responsibility to contact us to confirm that your materials were received.
Review of resumes and cover letters will begin immediately. We will contact only those candidates selected for an interview. The position is open until filled.
The position requires a background check. If an offer of employment is made, it will be conditional, dependent on the outcome of a check of criminal history, vehicle driving record, credit history, and education/professional credentials.
Living in Knoxville, TN:
- Eclectic neighborhoods and communities
- Abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities
- Moderate climate
- Home of the University of Tennessee flagship campus
- Welcoming people
- Strong, diverse economy
Working at Knoxville-Knox County Planning:
- Positive, collaborative workplace
- Opportunities for professional development
- Opportunities for continuing education
- State of the art hardware and software resources
- Paid membership in AICP and APA
- Benefits package that offers medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, and retirement match