Senior Planner - Transportation
About Houston-Galveston Area Council
The Houston-Galveston Area Council is one of the largest regional planning commissions in the country with a diverse service area of 13 counties and more than 7 million people. We are the pulse of our region addressing issues that cross city limits and county lines every single day.
We make decisions that affect our transportation system, ensure the safety and well-being or our seniors, connect people to jobs, help families recover from natural disasters, preserve water quality for our children, and so much more. We work to make the region a great place to live, work, and thrive.
H-GAC is seeking a Senior Planner to join the Multimodal Planning team within our Transportation department. Through cooperation with local governments, H-GAC’s Transportation Department improves the quality of life for residents across the region. Improving mobility and creating multimodal transportation options are core elements in H-GAC’s Transportation programs.
As the Senior Planner you will have the opportunity to take lead on planning projects that improve mobility, safety, multimodal connections, and economic development throughout the region. The candidate must demonstrate experience in development and execution of sub-regional, corridor, access management plans, transportation and land use analysis, policy recommendations, and investment priorities that garner broad stakeholder and public support. Strong project management, communication and presentation skills are crucial for success in this role. You must be able provide professional and timely feedback to a variety of audiences.
The ideal candidate will also have experience in the development of scopes of work, contracting processes, data analysis, public input, management of consultant teams, review of invoices and reports, in the implementation of transportation planning studies consistent with federal, state, and local requirements. The Transportation Department is one that demonstrates strong team work, an “all hands on deck” attitude and are passionate about doing whatever it takes to improve the quality of life for our citizens. We are looking for someone who shares these same values and who is not afraid to think outside of the box, brainstorm and bring new ideas to the table. Do you feel you have what it takes to be successful in this role?
The successful candidate will have at a minimum:
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning or related field.
- Five (5) years’ experience in urban or regional planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Thorough knowledge of transportation and land use planning, policies, regulations and best management practices.
- Experience in the areas of roadway, sub-regional, active transportation, transit, safety, evacuation, or resiliency planning.
- Ability to plan and effectively manage complex, long-term projects.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning or related field.
- Eight (8) years’ experience in urban and regional planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Experience serving as a project manager for transportation projects.
- Experience with GIS and/or graphics software including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and database software.
H-GAC is an equal opportunity/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or protected veteran status.