Knoxville-Knox County Planning is looking for a creative, dedicated, and experienced planner to join our team. This is an advanced position in the Planning Services Division, which administers development regulations and processes applications for rezoning, plan reviews, subdivisions, and sector plan amendments for the City of Knoxville and Knox County. The division also studies community growth patterns and prepares plans that guide City and County policies.
We don’t expect candidates to have experience managing all of these types of projects, but the ideal candidate will have significant experience working in current planning and is a team player who can lead and direct staff and support both our external and internal customers. The candidate should have excellent customer service skills that allow him/her to comfortably and calmly deal with challenging situations.
A regular day in this position might involve reviewing a development request, covering our customer service counter, staffing a commission meeting, answering questions from the public and developers over the phone and by email, and preparing a staff report to support a land use decision.
Typical job duties include:
- Coordinate and conduct review of development plans, subdivisions, rezoning requests, and plan amendments
- Conduct site visits
- Lead initiatives and projects related to ordinance updates and process enhancements
- Meet with engineers, surveyors, developers, property owners, and other constituents and groups
- Prepare recommendations for the Planning Commission, City Council, and County Commission
- Provide leadership and support to the agency’s customer service counter
- Represent the agency at interdepartmental meetings and perform staff work for committees
- Organize, conduct, and attend community meetings, some of which may occur during evening or weekend hours
- Perform research, collect and synthesize data, and analyze statistics
Skills we are looking for:
- Ability to lead and direct staff
- High level of personal accountability
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with colleagues, both internally and in multiple jurisdictions
- Strong commitment to public service and community involvement
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Creative thinking
- Positive attitude
- Master’s degree in urban planning or related field
- Six or more years of relevant experience
- Membership in American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) or the ability to obtain certification within two years of employment
- Master’s degree in urban planning
- Supervisory experience
- Membership in American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- Six or more years professional experience in regulatory and/or development review work, including zoning text amendments, rezonings (map amendments), or development review
Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
The position may be filled at the Senior Planner or Principal Planner level, depending on qualifications.
How to apply:
Send your resume, cover letter, and three references to:
Knoxville-Knox County Planning
Suite 403, 400 Main Street
Knoxville, TN 37902
Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed. If you opt to submit application materials electronically (email, Indeed.com, Planetizen, or other digital portal), it is your responsibility to contact us to confirm that your materials were received.
Review of resumes and cover letters will begin immediately. The position is open until filled.
It is our policy to contact only those candidates selected for an interview. An offer of employment will be contingent on the candidate passing a background check. Visit Knoxville-Knox County Planning for more information about our agency.
Living in Knoxville, TN:
- Home of the University of Tennessee flagship campus
- Abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities
- Moderate climate
- Eclectic neighborhoods and communities
- Welcoming people
Working at Knoxville-Knox County Planning:
- Positive, collaborative workplace
- Opportunities for professional development
- Opportunities for continuing education
- Membership in AICP
- Benefits package that offers medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, and retirement match