Planner & Urban Design Manager
About the Position
Be part of the renaissance of Downtown Corpus Christi, a Gulf Coast metropolitan on the brink! We are looking for an accomplished, sophisticated, and results-oriented urban development professional with energy and spirit to advance our revitalization efforts and make this brand new position their own. Working as part of our closely-knit team, you will use your planning and project management skills to ideate, plan, direct, track, and implement quality improvements influences by urban designed principles in our beautiful Downtown. Additionally, this position will work with stakeholders to ensure our organizational plans are updated to reflect big, forward thinking vision for revitalization and track the implementation of the Downtown Area Development Plan. Our organization is a uniquely empowered entity as a Municpal Management District which also administers a Tax Incremement Reinvestment Zone in partnership with the City of Corpus Christi. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with the Economic Development Manager.
About Job Functions (Daily Responsibilities)
- Ensure TIRZ #3 Traffic & Planning Analysis projects are scheduled designed and completed to meet urban design objectives;
- Lead downtown lighting upgrades;
- Identify path forward for Broadway Bluff Maintenance Feasibility Study and initiate facilitation;
- Work with City to identify creative urban design opportunities for public projects in the downtown area.
2. Beautify Downtown
- Complete New Beautification Projects incorporating Urban Design principles;
- Coordinate and Budget Maintenance of Existing Beautification Projects.
3. Create Transportation Accessibility
- Develop Micro-Transit Plan and identify implementation partners;
- Facilitate implementation of City’s Bicycle Mobility Plan.
4. Improve Right of Way Management
- Assist Property Owners in planning façade improvements;
- Plan & Implement TIRZ #3 Right of Way Improvement Projects;
- Facilitate Sidewalk Café Applications.
5. Facilitate Parking Improvements
- Establish annual task plan for Parking Action Plan Implementation;
- Identify & support improvements in target parking lots.
6. Strategic Planning
- Coordinate and host workshops & charettes annually with stakeholders, public officials, developers, and civil society regarding development plans and land use;
- Facilitate strategic planning update for 5 Year Strategic Plan;
- Stay up to date on best practices in benchmark cities;
- Track implementation of the Downtown Area Development Plan;
- Manage Main Street Participation & Reporting;
- Identify additional industry organizations and pursue participation.
Core Competencies for our Team:
- Initiative: Generates ideas and initiates action to seek information, solve problems or follow through with a task; is a self-starter.
- Quantity of Work & Reporting: Consistently completes acceptable volume of work on time and reports on accomplishments. Seeks further assignments when workload permits. Completes reports on time and does not require reminders for reoccurring reports.
- Responsibility & Quality of Work: Has good attendance, is on time and is present and productive at work. Work consistently demonstrates an understanding of the objectives and mission statement.
- Judgement & Decision Making: Evaluates information and makes sound and timely decisions. Is accountable for results. Selects decision alternatives that meet the objectives of the organization.
- Attitude & Stress Management: Keeps an upbeat, professional attitude even under challenging situations. Maintains flexibility without losing momentum. Adapts to situations seamlessly.
- Teamwork: Willing to share information and offers aid when possible. Consistently looking for ways to improve processes in the workplace and help the team.
- Customer Service Focus: Understands customer’s needs, expectations, and DMD’s requirements for public service. Treats customers (internal & external) with courtesy and respect. Responds quickly to all requests.
- Communication: Communicates effectively verbally and in writing with team members and customers with widely different socio-economic and educational backgrounds. Listens to others and is open minded to suggestions from others. Is responsive and proactive in communications.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary Range $55,000 to $70,000 (Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications)
- Paid Health Benefits & Life Insurance after 30 Days & 401K Match at 1 Year Anniversary
- 8 Paid Holidays & 15 Paid Time Off Days
- Opportunity for paid Professional Development.
- US Citizen
- Bachelor’s Degree in community/urban planning, urban design, architecture, landscape architecture or a closely related field;
- Preferred: A masters’ degree in urban planning and AICP or AICP candidate certification;
- 2 Years’ experience in a planning capacity
- Demonstrable experience in land use planning, urban design, municipal planning/zoning,
- Demonstrated experience with industry software applications (ArcGIS, Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, etc.) and the ability to produce attractive maps, graphics, and documents