Transportation Planner II/III
ABOUT GWRC AND FAMPO
The George Washington Regional Commission (GWRC) is the designated planning district commission for Virginia Planning District 16, which includes over 360,000 people in five jurisdictions. Planning District 16 is the fourth-largest and fastest-growing of the Commonwealth’s 21 planning districts. GWRC is responsible for encouraging and facilitating local government cooperation in addressing, on a regional basis, problems of greater than local significance. GWRC’s current areas of focus include economic development, environmental services, human services (including homeless services support), transportation demand management, and rural and urban transportation planning. GWRC is the staffing and fiscal agent for the Fredericksburg Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (FAMPO).
FAMPO is a federally-mandated agency that is responsible for ensuring that federal dollars spent on existing and future transportation projects and programs are based on a continuing, cooperative, and comprehensive transportation planning process. Committed to meaningful public engagement throughout the process, FAMPO is responsible for establishing priorities to meet short-term (next six years) and long-term (20+ years) multimodal transportation needs in the FAMPO Region, which includes the City of Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County, and Stafford County.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Transportation Planner II/III is expected to prepare, manage, and maintain short and long-range transportation plans and programs and works with other FAMPO staff as well as key stakeholders including federal, state, and local governments, elected officials, and the public. The successful candidate must exhibit thorough knowledge of planning theories, techniques of transportation planning and analysis, and applicable federal and state transportation regulations. The Transportation Planner III may be asked to manage consultant contracts and services, explain transportation issues to the public, and track regulatory and statutory changes.
The Transportation Planner II/III may be assigned important roles of significant individual responsibility in the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP), Congestion Management Process (CMP), SMART-SCALE project preparation, performance-based planning and programming (PBPP), and/or other MPO work products. The successful candidate will at times be asked to assist with MPO support processes such as external meetings, certification review support, and general administrative duties.
At the direction of the FAMPO Administrator, the Transportation Planner II/III may supervise an intern or Planner I/II regarding a specific task or project. The Transportation Planner III may also be asked to provide independent advice to the FAMPO Administrator on matters of importance and relevance.
Attendance at monthly committee meetings is expected. The successful candidate will support the MPO’s commitment to customer service excellence, continuous improvement, teamwork, and collaboration.
- A bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, GIS, or a related field.
- Minimum three years’ full-time experience in a planning setting.
- Minimum five years’ full-time experience for the Transportation Planner III position.
- Strong knowledge of transportation finance, policy, and project development phases.
- Strong quantitative abilities, writing and communication skills, and the ability to translate technical materials to a nontechnical audience.
- Knowledge of FAST Act/MAP-21 requirements including performance-based planning and programming.
- Some GIS experience or understanding of how GIS products are utilized for transportation planning purposes (ESRI products, CartoDB, etc.).
- The ability to collect, analyze, and visually present data pertaining to transportation planning.
- The ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Microsoft 365 environment.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite products or similar.
- AICP or equivalent (GISP, AIA, ALA, PE, PMP).
- Master’s degree in transportation planning, urban planning, regional planning, or closely related field will be considered favorably.
- Experience working with a Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO).
- Experience in a pubic or private urban or regional planning setting in Virginia.
- Interest in innovative transportation concepts.
- Understanding of transportation/travel demand modeling.
Starting salary negotiable depending on qualifications. An outstanding benefits package is also provided.
Please email a résumé, cover letter, salary requirement, a writing sample, a sample presentation, and three references to [email protected] Position is open until filled. GWRC/FAMPO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
George Washington Regional Commission/Fredericksburg Area Metropolitan Planning Organization is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, sex, national origins, disability, age, color, low-income, limited-English proficiency.