Urban Planner / Product Manager
Symbium is looking for an urban planner with local government experience to join our team. Your primary responsibility will be to work with the product and engineering teams to configure Symbium’s existing web applications — which make planning regulations and processes easier to understand, navigate, and take action upon — for new municipalities and contribute to the development of new urban planning solutions. The position will play an important role in growing our platform.
Role & Responsibilities
- Review, analyze, and summarize zoning regulations and related municipal code provisions.
- Work with the engineering team to determine which zoning regulations are amenable to automation and how to surface information about those that are not.
- Work with the engineering team to find and determine the utility of available open data to support the mechanization of zoning ordinances.
- Work with the product team to determine the best way to elicit and convey information to our users, based on regulatory requirements.
- Draft user-friendly language explaining municipalities’ regulations and permitting processes.
- Update current tools to incorporate new and/or amended ordinances and legislation.
- Engage with the product team to come up with and provide feedback on UI/UX improvements.
- Communicate with local government staff to resolve questions regarding the zoning code and related processes.
- Elicit, review, and respond to user feedback.
Experience & Qualifications
Our ideal candidate is an urban planner with local government experience who’s passionate about improving processes and disrupting the planning space. We are looking for someone who meets the following requirements:
- Experience in current planning and conducting plan checks in a local government planning office.
- Enjoys reading and analyzing zoning codes.
- Passionate about streamlining processes and making regulations easy to understand.
- Enjoys solving problems and taking a project and running with it.
- Excellent writing, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Can get into the regulatory details while maintaining the broader product and company perspective.
- Always thinking about how you can contribute and add value.
- Team player who is passionate about being a part of a tight-knit and nimble team.
- Ability to prioritize and plan effectively with a demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and stay flexible and adaptable through growth and change.
Send an email to [email protected] with your resume and a brief statement of interest.
** Due to COVID-19, this position is temporarily a remote position, but will require in-office attendance in San Francisco, CA when it is safe to return to the office. **
Symbium is an equal opportunity employer.