Assistant Project Manager - Mandarin Speaking
SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a Project Manager to work on inspiring and innovative open space projects in China or within the US. The ideal candidate will have a strong urban design and planning background and proven success managing all facets of a project.
- Contributes to SOM’s vision by enabling clear communication among team members, consultants and clients. Promote professional relationships internally and externally.
- Serves as a point of contact for SOM’s clients, Local Planning Institutes (LPI), local project teams, specialty consultants, suppliers and contractors in China.
- Prepares and reviews project memos, correspondence, technical documents, fee proposals, contracts and schedules for professional services.
- Assists the Project Manager in daily communication with the project team.
- Schedules and conducts technical coordination and presentations meetings with the client project team, LPI, specialty consultants, and others as applicable. Records and documents meeting minutes during technical calls and document resulting action items.
- Facilitates meetings locally in China, as needed.
- In conjunction with the Project Manager and Project Accountant, prepares appropriate billings and pursues payment compliance.
- In conjunction with the Project Manager and Project Accountant, manages and coordinates multiple budgets and schedules, both individual and project specific.
- Dedicates the necessary time beyond routine hours (as required, including last-minute needs) to assist in meeting business commitments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skill Set:
- Master Degree in Urban Design or City Planning, with undergraduate training in architecture design. Licensure, AICP and /or LEED accreditation are a plus.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent Mandarin Chinese and English.
- At least 4-6 years of progressively responsible project experience in the urban design and physical planning profession.
- Previous experience working for an American firm doing business with companies in the People's Republic of China strongly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of urban design and planning issues, including site planning, zoning, infrastructure and utility planning, and sustainable design practices.
- A proven work ethic and the ability to anticipate needs, service clients, initiate decisions and coordinate the activities of others.
- Excellent people management and strong team leadership with ability to listen and collaborate effectively.
- Ability to adapt to change in a fast-pace, highly creative working environment is essential.
- Highly-motivated, good team player who possesses strong oral and written communication, proofreading, and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical, oral and written communication skills with the ability to build quick rapport with all levels of employees, clients, consultants and vendors.
- International travel will be required (when permissible).
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com [For external posts only if possible]