GRAND VALLEY METRO COUNCIL
Supervised By: Director of Transportation Planning
Supervises: No supervisory responsibility
Under the supervision of the Director of Transportation Planning, is required to assist in all aspects of transportation performance-based planning and programming and analysis of related impacts and costs. Participate in specific areas such as safety, freight, land use, and transit planning. Interact and work cooperatively with officials at all governmental levels. Promotes and defines Grand Valley Metro Council’s transportation objectives in a variety of public forums.=
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to perform any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily.
- Handles long- and short-range transportation issues on a daily basis. Develops and/or coordinates elements of Grand Valley Metro Council’s metropolitan transportation plan (MTP) including research and analysis of system deficiencies and performance measures, public transportation, air, rail, nonmotorized transportation and freight. Coordinates with staff and members working in each mode.
- Develops socio-economic data and projections, maps, financial forecasts for the MTP, and analyzes environmental and societal impacts.
- Coordinates with local governments concerning land use plans and development. Analyzes transportation impacts of land use plans/development.
- Organizes and hosts meetings and/or workshops with local agencies and stakeholders to discuss transportation issues affecting the region.
- Oversees the work of consultants retained to work on various transportation related projects.
- Serves as liaison to the area’s regional transit-agency representing the Metro Council on transit/public transportation issues. Advocates for effective coordination between the agencies.
- Participates in the public involvement process for the Department and attends public education events for outreach programs as needed. Organizes public meetings, gives presentations, and generally engages with the public concerning transportation issues.
- Coordinates technical issues with FHWA, FTA, MDOT, and local units of government.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
Requirements include the following:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Urban or Transportation Planning, or related field – Master’s preferred.
- A minimum of three+ years of experience in transportation planning or related field.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of transportation planning.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office software, including but not limited to Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; as well as GIS.
- Skill in effectively communicating ideas in written and graphic form and making presentations in a public forum.
- Skill in interpreting and applying planning guidelines and ordinances.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgement, initiative, and resourcefulness when dealing with the media, the public, other employees, and governmental units.=
- Ability to critically assess situations, solve problems, work effectively under stress, within deadlines, and in public situations.
- Ability to attend meetings as scheduled at times other than regular business hours.
- A State of Michigan Vehicle Operator’s License.
$51,809 - $66,617 DOQ
Grand Valley Metropolitan Council
678 Front Ave NW, Suite 200
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49504
GVMC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GVMC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.