Planning and Urban Development Manager E19
The City of Albuquerque Planning Department is looking for a dynamic and experienced leader to manage the Urban Design & Development (UDD) Division. UDD is composed of three sections: Current Planning, Mid Range Planning, and Long Range Planning. UDD staffs the Environmental Planning Commission, Zoning Hearing Examiner, and the Landmarks Commission; manages place-based projects and planning in communities throughout the city in coordination with implementing departments and agencies; and provides long-range planning with the community that results in updates to the Comprehensive Plan and Integrated Development Ordinance. We are looking for an experienced leader who is committed to equitable planning, capacity-building, and leading a group of intelligent and dedicated employees. Ideal candidates will have extensive experience in planning and urban design, land use administration, governmental relations, and project management. Bilingual applicants are highly encouraged.
POSITION SUMMARY: Plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operations of the Planning and Urban Development Division of the Planning Department including the interpretation of plans and policies; coordinate assigned activities; work with various boards and commissions; provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Director, Planning Department.
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements: Education and experience directly related to the minimum requirements below may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, with major course work in planning, business administration, public administration, architecture or economics; and
Eight (8) years planning or re-development experience; and
To include five (5) years direct supervisory experience in a management or administrative capacity.
Possession of a valid New Mexico Driver’s License, or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator’s Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
- Operations, services and activities of a comprehensive planning and metropolitan redevelopment program
- Principles and practices of planning and administration
- Principles and practices of land use boards and commissions
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
Preferred Skills & Abilites
- Work effectively with appointed and elected officials
- Make presentations to boards, commissions, quasi-judicial hearings and City Council
- Administer a comprehensive development services program
- Plan, organize, direct and coordinate the work of lower level staff
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff
- Analyze and assess programs, policies and operational needs and make appropriate adjustments
- Identify and respond to sensitive community and organizational issues, concerns and needs
- Develop and administer division goals, objectives and procedures
- Prepare administrative and financial reports
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals
- Research, analyze and evaluate new service-delivery methods and techniques
- Interpret and apply Federal, State and local policies, laws and regulations
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties