Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
First Review Date: February 15, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Salary: $64,972 - $80,000, DOQ
The City of Laramie also known as “Gem City of the Plains” is ranked as one of the best places to live and one of the safest cities in Wyoming. There is easy access to hundreds of nearby outdoor recreation opportunities. In the summer, cars are packed with camping gear and canoes; in the fall,” Laramites” tote hunting supplies; and in the winter, skis reign. This, in addition to the arts and cultural events of the community, makes Laramie the cultural capital of Wyoming! The nickname “Laradise,” established in the 1980’s, says it all. Being the home to three institutions of higher education (the University of Wyoming, Albany County Campus of the Laramie County Community College, and WyoTech) the local economy has traditionally been rooted in academia. Recently, through a concerted effort by the City of Laramie, State of Wyoming, and local economic development partners, Laramie is also enjoying a surgency in its tech and advanced manufacturing sectors, which only expands on its diversity and vibrancy. With such a diverse population, candidates will face new and exciting challenges daily.
The Planning Division: Laramie has a population of approximately 31,000 people and is managed by a City Manager. The Planning division, consists of three fulltime employees and serves as liaisons to a 7-member Planning Commission and a 9-member City Council, and is organized under the City Manager’s Office. The Planning division aims to plan for the long-range stability of the community, manage development within the community and recognizing economic progress all while preserving the quality of life.
Ideal candidates will be highly motivated professionals eager to put their skills to work in a dynamic, progressive community that offers a wide array of planning related opportunities.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Planners will coordinate project review and apply their experience in almost all application types and submittals received for current and long-range planning projects.
- Experienced planners will have opportunities to manage complex projects, with a substantial, independent and direct influence on each project.
- Planners will have vision, technical planning competence, the ability to navigate political issues, and use skills in writing (specifically Code/Regulatory and Comprehensive Plan writing) and presenting.
QUALIFICATIONS (A combination of the following experience and training would be qualifying):
- A minimum of four to eight years of professional planning experience.
- A bachelor’s degree in planning, architecture or related field. A Master’s degree preferred.
- Proficiency in code and regulatory writing, comprehensive plan development and familiarity with GIS is required for all positions.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification highly desired, or the ability to achieve certification within one year of hiring.
Compensation and Benefits: A general explanation of the benefits package (health insurance, retirement, holidays and paid leave) can be found here: https://cityoflaramie.org/238/Employee-Benefits.
To request a more detailed description of the Planning positions, please email [email protected]. If you are interested in this position, you may apply online at www.cityoflaramie.org. Applicants who are offered appointments will be required to pass a drug screening, comprehensive background investigation and driver’s license check.
The City of Laramie is an EEO/ADA employer and a smoke-free workplace per City ordinance