Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Development Services Planner
The City of Hillsboro is actively recruiting for a motivated and community focused Planner to join the Development Services team within the Planning Division of the Community Development Department. In this role, you will be a key member of a dynamic team committed to providing friendly, professional customer service for entry and journey level planning work. The City’s Planning Division is dedicated to seeking equitable and fair outcomes for all members of our community. In honor of this mission, we must seek an intentional focus on removing barriers to the planning and development process often experienced in underserved racial, gender, ethnic, and ability groups within our community.
The development activity in the City remains strong and this position will be provided opportunities to work on a broad range of development projects in a fast growing and diverse City. In addition to growing our community, we are also dedicated in employee growth and progress by providing opportunities to expand individual expertise through internal projects and training. It is the Planning Division’s priority to invest in the people who serve our community. Additionally, this individual will offer input on upcoming amendments to the City’s Community Development Code.
The ideal candidate has knowledge of planning, zoning, and land use principles, including the implementation of laws, codes, rules, and regulations. In addition the candidate should be skilled in providing positive, solutions-oriented, and effective customer service; and promoting a culture of teamwork by treating coworkers with respect and dignity and engaging in open dialogue with diverse voices. Experience in preparing and/or processing land use and development entitlement applications is desirable.
General Statement of Duties
The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform entry and journey level professional routine current planning work. Responsibilities include reviewing, researching and processing planning and development applications, plans, amendments, variances, and related documents; conferring with other divisions, applicants and external agencies to resolve project issues; interpreting and communicating codes, laws and regulations, ensuring compliance with applicable standards; providing support and giving presentations to the community and governing groups; preparing code amendments; preparing drawings, plans, studies, reports, and other related documents.
- Reviews, researches, analyzes and compiles data, information and mapping for planning and development projects; reviews and processes land use and development applications, permit applications, plans, amendments, variances and related documents; ensures compliance with applicable zoning standards, codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Coordinates the planning review process and provides project management support; meets with internal staff, applicants, consultants, agencies and other project stakeholders; provides technical guidance and resolves issues related to proposals and application submissions.
- Responds to inquiries and information requests regarding zoning and land development, codes, studies, plans and other various related requests.
- Prepares memorandums, reports, ordinances, maps, tables, graphics and other technical documents; conveys technical information and provides documentation to support planning and zoning standards and process.
- Attends meetings and hearings; provides technical support and presents information and recommendations to the community and governing groups.
- Obtains community and public input related to development projects; determines appropriate communication methods and provides public outreach in support of planning process.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Acceptable Experience and Training
Bachelor’s degree in Regional Planning, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Geography or related field and, as assigned, up to two years of municipal planning related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Preference will be given to candidates who are bilingual in English/Spanish.
- Applicable Federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations and/or ordinances;
- Planning, zoning and land use principles and standards;
- Construction terminology;
- Research methods;
- Spatial concepts;
- Mathematical concepts;
- Positive and effective customer service principles;
- Modern office equipment.
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards;
- Reading, comprehending and/or interpreting written materials and technical drawings;
- Providing project management support;
- Researching, analyzing and compiling technical data and reports;
- Managing time and meeting deadlines;
- Preparing and presenting technical planning documents, maps, charts and graphs;
- Conducting advance spatial analysis using ESRI products (ArcMap 10.2.2) in urban and transportation planning contexts, (based on area of assignment);
- Solving problems and presenting solutions;
- Preparing and providing public presentations;
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications;
- Promoting a culture of teamwork and communication by working in collaboration and treating coworkers with respect and dignity and maintaining an open mind to diverse voices and ideas.