Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
SALARY: $54,361.00 - $67,291.00 Annually
OPENING DATE:11/05/20 CLOSING DATE:11/30/20 11:59 PM
**Hiring Range: $54,361 - $67,291**
**Salary Range: $54,361 - $81,805**
Performs journey to advanced level professional planning work in current planning projects for the Town.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
An employee in this class performs difficult journey level planning work to provide coordinated guidance and regulation of the growth and development of the Town. Work involves administering the residential and commercial site plan review process; assisting citizens and developers with various development issues; providing staff assistance to various Boards; processing rezoning; special projects; and preparation of text amendments as needed. Work involves considerable public contact often in sensitive or emotional issues requiring judgment, firmness, and tact. Work is distinguished from the Planner classification by greater independence, complexity of projects, and impact of decisions. Work is performed under general supervision of the Planning Director and is evaluated through conferences, review of work results obtained, and overall acceptance of the programs by the Town's citizens.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Coordinates the residential and commercial site plan review process by reviewing plans for compliance with land use plans, zoning ordinances and regulations; administers zoning and subdivision ordinances for the Town; provides considerable guidance in advising developers on the consistency of their interests with Town land use plans; reviews plans for technical compliance with various local, state and regional regulations; presents plans at Planning Board and Town Board meetings.
- Reviews plans for compliance with land use plans; researches and prepares recommendations for board consideration; reviews commercial site plans for compliance with town codes.
- Researches and prepares planning elements necessary for decisions by management or boards regarding land use, zoning, housing, transportation, open space, and environmental impact.
- Serves as staff to Planning Board, Town Commissioners and other commissions and committees; prepares reports and packets for review; attends meetings.
- Leads and/or participates in Technical Review Committee meetings; coordinates information flow.
- Facilitates various meetings, charrettes, and public hearings; makes presentations and takes questions at public meetings.
- Performs a variety of special projects including research, drafting plans, text amendments, grant development and administration, streetscape plans, transportation plans, open space plans, historic homes/district, etc.
- Coordinates the preparation of or prepares presentations, charts, maps, graphs, and other illustrative materials for presentation to elected officials, appointed boards, and citizens.
- Assists the public, developers, engineers, contractors, and others with information, processes, technical guidance and other customer service needs.
- Prepares information and studies for various plans.
Additional Job Duties
Performs related duties as required.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of reaching, standing, walking, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform light work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to lift carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Must possess the visual acuity to examine and work with maps, charts, and detailed materials, operate a computer, inspect sites regarding planning issues, and do extensive reading.
Desirable Education and Experience
Master's Degree in Planning or related field and professional experience in public sector planning; or Bachelor's Degree in planning and considerable experience as a planner in a local government office; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.