Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Senior Transportation Planner
MASCO is seeking a talented and motivated Transportation Planner. This is an outstanding opportunity for a hands-on, multi-modal planner to contribute to transportation strategies, studies, and designs for the Longwood Medical and Academic Area (LMA), one of Boston’s busiest and most dynamic neighborhoods and an epicenter of innovation, culture, education and healthcare. The position also supervises one of the region’s first Transportation Management Associations (TMAs), CommuteWorks which provides innovative TDM programs to our twenty member institutions.
MASCO (Medical Academic Scientific Community Organization, Inc.) is a $36-million nonprofit organization whose mission is to improve the quality of life and create a sense of community in the Longwood Medical Area (LMA) for patients, residents, employees, students, and visitors. The LMA spans across 213 acres and is located just three miles southwest of downtown Boston.
The right candidate will be a highly motivated, mission- and values-driven planner who is committed to customer service, has an operational focus, and is able to manage sophisticated projects leveraging strong analytical and communications skills. This visible role requires successful stakeholder engagement and relationship management across a diverse constituency— from executives of world-renowned institutions, to public sector leaders, to area employees and residents.
- Serve as lead planner for master programming and technical assistance efforts designed to meet institutional needs for parking and multimodal transportation access.
- Perform regional and district-level studies of transportation infrastructures to support emergency vehicle, patient, visitor and employee access needs.
- Lead initiatives to improve walking, biking, transit, micro-mobility, shared mobility, and vehicular access.
- Assist in implementation by working collaboratively with members and public agencies to achieve political support and funding.
- Manage the work of transportation planners and engineers under contract.
- Monitor governmental policies that may affect LMA’s transportation systems.
- Assist in development of policy positions, advocacy strategies and materials presentation.
- Manage staff and guide incentive program development and technical analysis for CommuteWorks, the LMA transportation management association (TMA).
- Communicate transportation-related interests with several boards and serve as a liaison to transportation agencies at the local and state levels.
- Work with other MASCO planners to incorporate aspects of the transportation systems with other LMA area plans.
- Direct and perform field work and maintain databases to aid in transportation systems planning.
Required Qualifications (unless otherwise noted)
- Bachelor’s degree in transportation planning or related field; master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum eight years of experience working in transportation planning/engineering desired. Prior supervisory experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications. Proficiency in CAD preferred.
- Knowledge of city and state transportation project development, planning and funding processes.
- Excellent analytical, presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong proactive organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Exhibit a ‘can-do’ attitude and flexible work style approach. Patience and flexibility to meet demands of a changing environment.
- Ability to handle situations, issues and information with sound judgement, diplomacy and sensitivity.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation is competitive based on experience. MASCO offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, a monthly MBTA pass subsidy or free off-site parking, 3 weeks of vacation, 12 paid holidays, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, and a 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer contribution.