Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Purpose of the Job
The purpose of this position is to work with the Community Development Director on planning and zoning projects as needed to ensure that Gila County provides a safe, healthy and visually attractive place in which people can live, work, and play in. This position oversees the implementation and administration of the Comprehensive Plan and the Gila County Zoning Ordinance. The Senior Planner acts as the staff planner to the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Adjustments and analyzes and formulates recommendations for the development application and other planning and zoning duties. Knowledge is kept up-to-date with research, interpretation, and application of State statutes, County codes and ordinances, and other rules and regulations. Duties include plan development, development of procedures, court testimonies, participation in meetings, supervision of operations, and ordinance drafting and training. The role is also responsible for community liaison efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Handles applications for development plans, zoning changes, variance requests, use, temporary, and conditional use permits, subdivisions, the addition of special use districts, and reviews minor land divisions and lot line adjustments for zoning ordinance compliance.
- Manages the implementation of complex planning and zoning projects. Prepares for and attends to pre-application meetings, provides training for Planning and Zoning commissioners and Board of Adjustment board members, and makes presentations at various meetings.
- Works closely with the Administrative Assistant to ensure all State statutes, County ordinances, and County zoning and planning procedures are followed regarding correspondence, timelines, and publication and posting of public meeting notices.
- Oversees the implementation of the Comprehensive Land Use Plan and updates the plan as required utilizing input from both internal and external sources.
- Develops and establishes office procedures and performance measures; designs forms and applications, ensures compliance with departmental policies, procedures, and County ordinances.
- Responsible for record keeping of public input and presentation actions; preparation of activity reports, prepares staff reports for and presents to the Board of Supervisors, Planning and Zoning Commission, and Board of Adjustments.
- Drafts new ordinances, ordinance modifications, policy statements, and insures alignment with the Comprehensive Plan Land Use Plan and consults with the County Attorney to insure compliance with State statues.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with citizens, citizen groups, neighborhood leaders and associations, elected officials and other County departments interpreting, analyzing and resolving difficult neighborhood issues as well as educating the public on the uses of their property.
- Performs other duties as assigned.