Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
WHO WE ARE AS A CITY:
Crystal River, the gem of Florida's beautiful Nature Coast is a waterfront fishing village best characterized by its traditional main street, superior recreational opportunities, and old Florida charm. The community works hard to maintain its unique sense of place, preserving and enhancing existing neighborhoods, while promoting new places of character that are both “time honored” and meaningful. In fact, the City’s downtown and waterfront are in the midst of an urban renaissance, with a new riverwalk, “town square”, and City Hall under development.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The City is looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic person who wants to be part of our revitalization! We are seeking an Urban Designer who demonstrates a thorough understanding of town planning, urban form, and new urban principles and practices. The Candidate will be a key contributor to the City of Crystal River regarding future visioning and planning endeavors and should possess a deep-seated interest and understanding of community planning and civic engagement, including the charrette process. They will perform a variety of professional duties to include the creation of plan drawings, urban design diagrams and maps, site designs, site plan review, drafting comprehensive and area plans, ordinance writing, form-based codes, preservation planning, and GIS related functions.
The Candidate will showcase their skills with GIS and will work with various staff as the City works to build its GIS program. They will have multiple opportunities for creative expression and growth, and will work under the supervision of the City’s Planning and Development Services Director.
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. The administration retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of the job at any time.
The Urban Designer performs a variety of duties in support of the City of Crystal River. The candidate will use both urban design and GIS analysis to evaluate and depict potential outcomes associated with future policies, investments and projects. This allows the City to pull together information, better understand current needs, and then design to fulfill those needs.
A successful candidate for this position will have experience in the urban design and planning practices, including community participation and facilitation, and will demonstrate experience or familiarity with public sector planning functions. He or she will have the ability to participate in complex planning efforts, using both GIS and 3D rendering software to effectively communicate planning and design ideas verbally and graphically to a variety of stakeholders. These tools allow the community to evaluate the feasibility, impact, and look of a project, and make better long-term decisions regarding the proposal.
The candidate will have multiple opportunities for creative expression and professional growth. In addition, he or she will play a key role in promoting cross-coordination and the sharing of geospatial and illustrative expertise between the Planning and Development Services Department and City engineers within the Public Works Department.
- Urban design concepts based on New Urbanism and Smart Growth.
- Understanding or willingness to learn Form Based Coding principles.
- Ability to communicate verbally, in writing, and through drawings.
- Possess illustrative graphic skills, computer techniques, and / or hand rendering.
- Understanding of planning principles and ability to review planning and zoning proposals.
- Ability to clearly write, prepare, and present concise and accurate staff reports and presentations to Main Street, Planning and Zoning Board, and CRA / City Council.
- Provide zoning, design, and land development requirements and information to applicants.
- Strong understanding, knowledge and familiarity with GIS, including ways in which to showcase urban design and GIS together, as well as teach colleagues.
- Able to complete reports, graphics, and produce maps using GIS software.
- Able to assist with training of staff regarding GIS software.
- Proficient using one or more urban design platforms such as: Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), SketchUp, CommunityViz© or 3D rendering software.
- Proficient using MS Office suite.
- AutoCAD or hand sketching and rendering skills are a plus.
- Accreditation by the Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU-a), American institute of Certified Planners (AICP), American Institute of Architects (AIA) or American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) is preferred.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Urban Design, Urban and Regional Planning, or similar discipline; and;
- Demonstrated proficiency using ArcGIS and one or more urban design platforms, such as: Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), SketchUp, or CommunityViz© to help people visualize and communicate about the future of their communities.
To be considered for this career opportunity please complete an online Job Application and submit your resume at: https://www.crystalriverfl.org/jobs! EEO/ADA.