The City of Everett is accepting applications for the position of Planning Director. Click here for more information about this position and the City's strategic goals.
Under the direction of the Mayor or their designee, this is a highly visible executive management position providing leadership, direction, and coordination of various activities and programs which provide planning and community development services. Responsibilities include directing the Land Use Planning/Environmental Review and Long Range Planning Divisions. Work is reviewed through conferences, reports and effectiveness of department activities and programs. Supervision is exercised over a staff of professional, technical, administrative and bargaining unit employees.
The Planning Director will be a strategic leader with a forward-looking and collaborative approach to the planning activities of the City. The City’s planning efforts have been recognized with several statewide planning awards. The new director will build on the collaborative approach and work on new challenges and opportunities facing the City. Some of the areas of focus will include:
- Implementation of Rethink Zoning (www.everettwa.gov/rethink)
- 2024 Growth Management Act review and update
- Light rail station planning (www.soundtransit3.org), including transit-oriented development (TOD) strategies
- Community Renewal and Economic Revitalization
- Amendment of land use plans and codes to implement housing action and infill strategies
- Implementation of online mapping for improved customer service (ESRI & Geocortex)
- Integration of land use permitting with other departments.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A combination of education and related experience may substitute for education requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Economics, Business or a related field, advanced degree preferred and
- Seven years increasingly responsible related experience, including 5 years experience in a management/supervisory position. Public sector experience is highly desirable.
All interested applicants are required to submit:
- City of Everett online employment application
- A Cover Letter
- A Resume
Candidates will be contacted throughout this process via email and should periodically check their spam folders for messages filtered by their email providers.
Application materials may be accessed via http://www.everettwa.gov/careers. Completed applications must be submitted through the City’s online application system. INCOMPLETE, FAXED, OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.