Since its founding in 2001, WALKSacramento has been a regionally recognized leader in advancing policies that drive health equity, supporting community priorities through meaningful engagement, and delivering programs that encourage active travel for health, economic development, and environmental benefits.
The WALKSacramento Board of Directors is seeking a visionary, impact-focused, experienced nonprofit leader with a strong background in health equity, active transportation, and health in the built environment to lead the organization, raise revenue, and carry out the mission.
With support from the staff and Board of Directors, the Executive Director will lead and manage a small and effective team, not only directing the organization’s growth but also overseeing all program, advocacy, communications, development, and administrative operations. WALKSacramento has an annual budget of approximately $400,000 and four staff.
The Executive Director is responsible for developing and maintaining a business model that produces exceptional mission impact and sustained financial health. The Executive Director leads the organization’s mission, directs day-to-day operations, fosters staff professional growth and development, and collaborates with and helps cultivate an engaged and productive Board of Directors.
- Build a positive work environment that values and supports an open exchange of diverse ideas, capitalizes on staff strengths, and creates a team-oriented culture.
- Advance the mission, vision, and values of WALKSacramento through strong internal and external leadership.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance strategic partnerships and external collaborations to advance WALKSacramento’s reputation in the field and standing in the community.
- Stay abreast of local, regional, state, and federal initiatives, policies, and best practices that impact WALKSacramento’s mission and programs.
- Optimize WALKSacramento’s ability to provide mission work to the community. Advocacy and Policy Development
- Collaborate with local, regional, and statewide coalitions to influence policy, legislation, and advocacy initiatives. • Advocate for the need for health in the built environment, health equity, and mobility justice to community members, stakeholders, and the media.
Communications and Community Relations
- Cultivate and maintain positive stakeholder relationships across sectors, including policymakers, funders, agency partners, and the communities WALKSacramento serves.
- Develop communication plans that raise awareness of key issues, build influence, and leverage community engagement to affect policy change.
- Act as a primary spokesperson with all stakeholders, including decision-makers, strategic partners, community residents, current and prospective funders, and the media. Ability to humanize, tell a story, and translate policy into language that is clear and meaningful to diverse audiences.
- Encourage and foster a healthy, supportive work environment that promotes personal and organization growth, including mentorship and professional training among staff.
- Guide the organization’s programs and ensure alignment with available funding as well as WALKSacramento’s strategic plan.
- Ensure that WALKSacramento's workplace and operations are well-designed and administered.
- Meet staffing needs by following a thoughtful recruitment and onboarding process as well as leveraging process efficiencies, volunteers, and consultants.
- Manage WALKSacramento’s financial planning and budget to support the Strategic Plan and ensure financial sustainability.
- Oversee financial activities and controls, and monitor the work of the contract accountant.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal employment, tax and other requirements.
- Assemble bi-monthly Board of Directors report including financial projections, project updates, initiatives, and other important updates from the organization.
- Facilitate strong Board and staff alignment around organizational structure, and annual and long-range programmatic and financial goals.
- Support the Board of Directors in recruiting and orienting new board members and maintaining board membership.
- Encourage and support board member involvement in fundraising and in other strategic plan initiatives.
View the full job posting here.