Are you an experienced developer looking for a professionally-rewarding environment where you continue to learn and are supported by your peers while you help build meaningful projects for appreciative clients?
We're seeking an experienced, sharp web engineer to join our team in sunny Los Angeles to help develop websites (like Planetizen and Planetizen Courses) and web apps for mission-focused organizations like museums, universities, nonprofits, and cities. Join a supportive team that values your contribution, and where we work together to help our clients make the world a better place.
This position is primarily focused on backend development, but experience across the stack with some front-end frameworks is useful.
This position is primarily located in Los Angeles. After 2 years, team members have the option to work partially or fully remote. As of July 2020, our team is working remotely, and we expect to return to the office around Jan 2021.
- Work as part of a project team of 3-6 people that typically includes a technical project manager, engineers, designers, and quality assurance specialist to build responsive websites and web applications.
- Help to plan, design, and create websites, using open source web content management systems like Drupal and WordPress.
- Help to design and create web applications using Angular, React, PHP, and MySQL.
- Although we have a primary office in LA, we’re also a partially distributed team. If you feel comfortable using tools like Slack, Zoom (web conferencing), and case tracking, you’ll fit right in.
- Write clear, concise documentation and case updates.
- 5+ years experience with Drupal, WordPress, Symfony, Angular, or React.
- 5+ years of experience with PHP and MySQL.
- Experience with Bootstrap.
- Experience with HTML/CSS.
- Experience building websites with Drupal, WordPress, or Angular.
- Strong experience with Git.
- Good understanding of mobile-first design.
- Experience with REST / JSON API development and connectivity is a plus.
- Flexible to work on multiple projects within a given week.
- Bachelor’s degree, any field.
- You’ve worked successfully as part of a team.
- Availability to work in our Los Angeles office for at least six months during 2021 to get to know the team in a non-remote environment.
Your Career Path
The position offers multiple career paths within Urban Insight. The most likely career path for a high-achieving technical team member is Developer, Senior Developer, Engineer, Senior Engineer, and Director. Alternative career paths include roles in project management or technical architecture.
About Urban Insight
- Urban Insight is a Los Angeles-based digital agency with 22 team members. We are the creative, editorial and technical team behind the Planetizen brand. https://www.urbaninsight.com
- We work with some of LA’s best-known institutions, like LACMA, The Broad, Planetizen Courses, University of Southern California, City of Los Angeles, and the Japanese American National Museum, to name just a few.
- We’re the top-ranked Web development and Drupal agency in Los Angeles, according to Clutch, an independent analyst. Have a look at what our clients say about us: https://clutch.co/profile/urban-insight
- We help our clients with beautiful and flexible websites and web apps. We do this by providing strong project leadership, honest advice, thoughtful design, and technical best practices.
- We take on cutting edge, challenging projects for appreciative clients, and have a supportive and team-based approach to projects.
- We plan, design, and create innovative websites, and we often use open source web content management systems like Drupal and WordPress.
- We are one of the few agencies that know how to manage a technology project (one of our founders literally wrote a book on it). We employ a combination of waterfall (requirements and design) and agile (development) methodologies.
Why Work At Urban Insight?
- We take on interesting, meaningful projects for appreciative clients.
- We work with you to create a career path that works for you.
- The average employee tenure is 7.6 years.
- We're stable. We've been in business for 18 years, and continue to grow each year.
- We offer a casual and flexible working environment with plenty of opportunities for growth for the right candidate.
- We offer a remote work policy. After two years in our LA office, choose to work partially or fully remote.
- We believe in a reasonable life/work balance and enjoy 40-hour work weeks 95% of the time.
- Team members work with the latest hardware and software, multiple monitors, and can choose their primary OS (Win/Mac/Linux), and have the other environments available for dev/testing.
- Enjoy premium coffee, filtered water, and snacks while you work.
- We have regular catered Lunch & Learns on a variety of topics. Recent topics have included: Atomic theming patterns, Developing in Angular, Introduction to Adobe XD, Intro to AWS architecture, Drupal 8 Layouts and Landing pages.
- You may not need to drive. Our office is directly above the Metro Purple Line Normandie Station (and we’ll buy you a Metro pass).
- We have many training opportunities. If you seek to earn an approved certification, we'll pay for it once you earn it.
- There are many more reasons: https://www.urbaninsight.com/careers
We offer a competitive salary (benchmarked using Payscale) which depends on your qualifications, experience, education, and credentials. Our salary package includes:
- Health insurance (95% employer-paid).
- Dental insurance (95% employer-paid).
- LA Metro transit access card that allows you to ride everything that Metro owns, including Metro rail, Metro local buses, Metro Rapid buses, 24x7.
- Company-sponsored 401(k) plan with employer match (after 60 days).
- Paid sick leave.
- Time for study, conferences, and self-improvement.
- Paid vacation leave (after 60 days).
- Performance and compensation reviews annually.
If you are interested in working with us, please apply on this website using the form on this page: https://urbaninsight.applytojob.com/apply/G55KyBXN9p/BackEnd-Web-Engineer
A good introduction letter really gets our attention. Please tell us why we'd be a good fit for your skills.