STATUS: Regular Full Time
UNION STATUS: 01 APEA
REPORTS TO: Community Planning Deputy Director
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
CLOSES: June 4, 2020 9:00 pm AK
Provide technical assistance to the general public and the Community Planning Department staff. Perform technical and administrative duties, customer service, and research related to community planning, platting, and other permitting activities.
- Assist the public in-person and via phone and email. Provide the public with information about Borough zoning, land use and other plans, flood plain management, subdivision, and related codes. Advise the public of other applicable laws and regulations; refer to appropriate agency as needed.
- Provide comprehensive planning and platting information regarding permit approval processes and procedures, application submittal and review requirements, and related documentation; assist customers with application processes and procedures and code requirements in an understandable service-oriented manner to customers with varying degrees of technical knowledge. Refer unusual and complex inquiries to appropriate staff or other borough sources.
- Review land use, platting, and development permit applications from the public to determine if they are adequately complete for acceptance. Instruct applicants when further information is needed before applications can be reviewed and/or permits issued.
- Conduct historical document research and compile complete and accurate records to fulfill public records requests in a legal and timely manner.
- Calculate fees based on the adopted fee schedule. Provide instruction to applicant on fee payment procedure and maintain cash drawer; collect payments and issue receipts; prepare and submit deposits and monthly cash receipt verification form.
- Update and maintain planning, platting, and other permitting related databases/tracking systems.
- Assist in developing and compiling data required for reports and presentations and display before the Platting Board, Planning Commission, and Assembly.
- Perform data collection from secondary sources and research Borough files.
- Participate in and assist with ongoing evaluation of permitting processes to aid in improving customer service, productivity, and efficiency.
- Provide customer service support by creating application files, editing and maintaining application forms and publications, and sorting and distributing incoming and outgoing mail.
- Perform other tasks and special projects as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Minimum of three (3) years responsible customer service experience. Experience with land use planning, platting, land title, appraisal, assessing, land development, real estate, code enforcement, or other related field is preferred. A two-year, four-year or graduate degree may substitute for the required experience on a year by year basis.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and convey information about land use and development related issues including planning, zoning, and platting. Analytical ability to fully research land issues using many different sources and formats.
- Ability to independently administer and advise the public on zoning and subdivision requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct thorough research, analyze the data, and draw conclusions from the research to be used in specific cases.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and work on multiple projects in a stressful environment and under tight timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer for a variety of computer programs (MS Word & Excel required; database experience, Adobe Illustrator, and Power Point experience preferred); type at a proficient level. Ability to operate a variety of office machines (copier, scanner, fax, multi-function phone, printers etc.).
- Prefer experience with GIS software (ESRI) and the creation and modification of geographic data preferred.
- PREFERRED: Ability to have and maintain a valid driver’s license and to meet insurance standards and maintain insurability under the Borough's insurance program. If personal automobile is used for Borough business, proof of insurance at statutory limits must be provided. (A CURRENT COPY OF DRIVING RECORD WILL BE REQUESTED AT TIME OF HIRE.)
- A PROFICIENCY TEST MAY BE ADMINISTERED.
- A criminal background investigation will be conducted on final candidates.
Frequent interdepartmental business contact, continuous routine public contact and occasional contact involving outside organizations/agencies.
Does not supervise; experiences minor problems daily and occasional major one, must use own initiative in handling most problems; the consequences of error, carelessness or mistaken judgment require normal effort to recover.
General office where conditions are pleasant; somewhat occasional disagreeable conditions while completing field work; minor accident/hazard probability; requires short periods of light lifting, pushing or pulling (1-25 lbs.).
Individuals interested in applying for this position must submit a completed online application on or before the closing date and time as specified in the Job Posting. Online applications can be located at www.fnsb.us then click on the “JOBS” tab.
For additional information please call (907) 459-1202 or the Borough Direct Job Line at (907) 459-1206.
The Borough complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation to participate in the application/interview/selection process, contact the Human Resources Office at (907) 459-1202 or the EEO office. The EEO Compliance Officer can be contacted at (907) 459-1309.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER