Design Studio Two Planner 2 Positions
The Metro Nashville/Davidson County Planning Department is seeking experienced individuals to join the Design Studio Division. It is an exciting time to be a part of a team that is shaping Nashville’s future! We are looking for two qualified candidates to join our team as intermediate level planners.
The Design Studio is comprised of planners and designers with expertise in architecture, landscape architecture, and urban design. These staff members provide analysis and recommendations throughout Metro Nashville on current planning, community planning, and urban design issues in a wide variety of urban, suburban, and rural contexts.
The Design Studio administers the Planning Department’s form-based codes, including the Downtown Code, and over fifteen Urban Design Overlays. The Design Studio also assists with Community Plan Amendments, and the creation of various planning studies, corridor and neighborhood design plans, and the creation of innovative zoning tools and regulations.
A successful candidate for this position will have some experience in the urban design and planning practices including community participation and facilitation, and will demonstrate experience or familiarity with public sector planning functions. He or she will have the ability to participate in complex planning efforts and effectively communicate planning and design ideas verbally and graphically to a variety of stakeholders. The candidate will also contribute to compliance review functions for design overlays and the Downtown Code.
- Knowledge and familiarity with urban design, form-based codes, Smart Growth, and New Urbanism principles.
- Possess illustrative graphic skills in computer techniques and/or hand rendering.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively in a team setting.
- Ability to effectively multi-task on a variety of project types, and across time sensitive deadlines.
- Experience with plans review, including knowledge of zoning and community planning principles.
- Ability to clearly write, prepare, and present concise and accurate staff reports and presentations.
- MS Office suite: required
- Adobe suite – Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign: preferred
- SketchUp, and/or other 3D rendering software: preferred
- GIS – ArcMap: preferred
- AutoCAD: favorable
Must have the ability to accurately process, review, analyze, and critique complex development projects with an emphasis on good urban design principles. Must be able to communicate with other Metro Departments, development professionals, elected officials, and citizens. Attention to detail; compliance with time-sensitive deadlines; clear and timely communication with a variety of stakeholders; strong prioritization and negotiation skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; support peers in collaborative work; support a friendly and productive work environment.
- Provide urban design guidance for development proposals within the form-based code areas and for community planning processes – working with applicants, citizens, and elected officials.
- Collaborate in a team setting, and effectively communicate to produce high quality urban design, planning, and regulatory tools.
- Conduct compliance review for development proposals within the DTC and UDO areas, including writing staff reports and making public presentations for both small groups and large audiences.
- Create the creation of graphics and illustrative materials for a variety of planning documents and reports.
- Craft design scenarios and planning studies.
- Contribute to Design Review Committee meetings, and stakeholder community meetings.
Education & Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Planning or a related field, from an accredited college or university and four (4) years of related experience, or Master's Degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Planning or related field from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of related experience. Experience working for or with a local government is desired.
Either or both Planner 2 positions may be under-filled with a qualified Planner 1 at a Planner 1 salary.
Starts at $64,950.06.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed as received.
Qualified applicants should send (preferably via email) a letter of interest, resume, and a portfolio of work samples to:
Metro Planning Department
800 Second Avenue South
P.O. Box 196300
Nashville, TN 37219-6300
(No Phone Calls Please)
The Planning Department does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed or disability in admission to, access to, or operations of its programs, services, or activities. Discrimination against any person in recruitment, examination, appointment, training, promotion, retention, discipline or any other employment practices because of non-merit factors shall be prohibited. For ADA inquiries, contact Josie Bass, ADA Compliance Coordinator, at (615) 862-7150 or e-mail her at [email protected]. For Title VI inquiries, contact Human Relations at (615) 880-3370. For all employment-related inquiries, contact Human Resources at (615) 862-6640.