Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Senior Major Projects Planner
Planner 3 – Senior Major Projects Planner
Oregon Department of Transportation
Highway Division – Region 1
Policy and Development Section/Major Projects Unit
Are you passionate about multimodal transportation? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? Our Region 1 team in historic downtown Portland is recruiting for a senior major projects planner to lead programs, projects and initiatives while working closely with stakeholders. In this position, you will play a key role in defining the scope, schedule and budget aspects of our projects. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
Please carefully read the 'How to Apply' section below, for required attachments and specific instructions on applying.
A day in the life:
- Initiate and manage major transportation improvement projects in critical transportation corridors.
- Prepare and manage a work plan for projects including coordinating tasks, schedules and budgets.
- Negotiate changes with contractors, stakeholders, agency staff; update and document ongoing project activities.
- Define and manage project scope, schedule and budget.
- Lead multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Provide feedback and coaching.
- Manage stakeholder involvement.
- Prepare monthly project status reports.
- Develop personal services contracts and intergovernmental agreements.
- Ensure that timely project decisions are made and evaluate the project on a regular basis.
- Solve operational problems and analyze economic, transportation, urban development and intergovernmental issues.
- Work is primarily performed in an office environment with occasional work outdoors at project sites.
- Occasional travel required, including limited out of state travel.
- Overtime and flexible hours including early morning, evening or weekend meetings are required.
- For a full list of duties and working conditions, please click here for the position description.
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service and multimodal transportation.
- Work/life balance and 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules and competitive benefits packages. Click here to visit our full benefits website.
- Multi-modal ride sharing! Get There is Oregon’s easy-to-use carpool matching tool and trip planner that will get you where you need to go.
- Live, work and play in Portland, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click HERE to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
A bachelor's degree in urban or regional planning, public administration, social science, civil engineering, architecture, economics, geography or a related field and three years of progressively responsible planning experience related to the job.
Note: A master's degree in regional planning, public administration, social science, civil engineering, architecture, economics, geography or a related field may substitute for one year of experience.
Six years of planning experience related to the job.
Note: Coursework in urban or regional planning, public administration, social science, civil engineering, architecture, economics, geography or a related field can substitute for up to two years of the progressively responsible experience.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, February 3.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call Wesley Dawn in recruitment at 503-378-6721 or email [email protected].
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.