Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Associate Planner - Long Range Planning
The purpose of this position is to support and lead planning and implementation of long range land use and community development projects and initiatives; Lead and/or support development and implementation of policies and initiatives that address gentrification and displacement; Establish and maintain partnerships with public and private stakeholders and coordinate with other City departments; Facilitate multi-agency, multi-sector coordination efforts; Lead and/or assist with large, multi-sector grant applications, manage project and program budgets and consultant contracts as assigned. Serve as the liaison to a variety of community-based organizations, identify capacity building needs and opportunities, and support long-term organizational development; Organize and participate in public engagement processes, including strategic and culturally-specific outreach to hard to reach populations. Conduct research and analyze data. Coordinate with internal staff and external partners, develop staff reports and give presentations, and respond to public inquiries.
This is a full-time, regular, exempt position. The schedule for this position is M-F, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Lead and/or support City participation in interdisciplinary initiatives and coalitions, including the Fourth Plain Coalition, which focuses on addressing the needs of Central Vancouver residents; represent the City on working groups, steering committees and in a variety of public forums; facilitate and sustain ongoing communication and coordination with a variety of partners and organizations; facilitate new partnerships that expand the reach/efficacy of ongoing initiatives; identify new funding sources and lead/assist with grant writing efforts; provide outreach, support and capacity building to community-based groups and organizations.
- Lead and/or assist with inter-department and community-based efforts to implement community development priorities, as outlined in relevant city plans, initiatives and policies, including the Fourth Plain Forward Action Plan and the Heights District Plan; coordinate citywide teams, including staff in transportation, housing, economic development and other groups as needed; serve as the City liaison to community-based partners and support capacity building within community organizations; lead efforts to develop sustainable funding mechanisms; Serve as the primary City liaison to Fourth Plain Forward (FPF), a place-based non-profit that works to address the needs of businesses and residents on the Fourth Plain corridor.
- Lead and/or support projects that implement community development priorities and public-private partnerships; lead coordination efforts and support partnerships and consultant staff; represent the City on project teams and the City’s interests related to design, engineering and construction; manage community outreach/engagement efforts in partnership with agency and community-based partners and consultant teams; lead and support various grant funding efforts as assigned; With senior staff, coordinate the City’s involvement in the Fourth Plain Commons project, a mixed-use development that will include housing, community space and a commercial kitchen incubator on the Fourth Plain Corridor.
- Lead and/or support Citywide implementation of Reside Vancouver, the recently completed Anti-Displacement Strategy for Central Vancouver; coordinate interdepartmental efforts to implement the plan; coordinate with internal and external partners to develop priorities, strategies and timelines; ensure ongoing communication and coordination with external partners that participated in the development of the plan, and identify and develop new partnerships to support implementation; Ongoing relationship building and coordination with private sector and/or community-based partners in order to understand needs and strategies to address equitable development.
- Prepare and present plan recommendations, staff reports, and briefing papers on community development planning and initiatives to City Council, Planning Commission, City Manager, city leadership, other departments, agency partners and the public.
- Coordinate with other City departments and public agencies on specific projects; schedule meetings, prepare agendas, and facilitate and summarize discussions. Respond to inquiries in order to effectively support relevant projects, programs and initiatives. Participate in and/or attends community, citizen, advisory, Planning Commission, and City Council meetings.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experience and Education
- Three (3) years of related experience in urban planning and policy, community development and project management. Experience managing equitable community engagement efforts and multi-sector community development initiatives preferred.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree urban planning, community development, architecture, urban design or related field.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Intermediate Skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.