Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Assistant Urban Planner/Designer
Gruen Associates’ Planning Department has a long legacy of leading innovative planning, urban design, and streetscape projects for clients around the world. Planners at Gruen Associates work on all phases of a project, from preparing proposals to facilitating community workshops and writing plans. With our architecture and landscape architecture practice, many of our projects are implemented within the firm. The hands-on, interdisciplinary studio environment at Gruen offers unique and exciting opportunities to learn about all aspects of improving the built environment.
We are looking for motivated self-starters to support our growing practice. The Urban Designer/Planner will work on a variety of exciting projects that could include master plans, station area plans, Specific Plans, transit-oriented development projects, transportation centers, EIRs, feasibility analyses, campus, streetscape, and pedestrian plans, and design guidelines, among others. Candidates with a combination of strong writing and graphics skills, research and analytical capabilities, and experience with urban design projects and/or preparing Specific Plans are strongly encouraged to apply. The Urban Planner/Designer must be able to work independently and with a team of multi-disciplinary professionals.
Key Aspects of Position:
- Conduct research and analysis in support of projects, which could include GIS mapping, statistical analysis, and research
- Assist with the preparation of memos, policies, infographics, design guidelines, and plans
- Prepare collateral materials for and participate in public outreach meetings and events
- Generate high-quality plans and perspectives, both digital and hand-rendered
- Support proposal-writing efforts
Required Skills and Experience:
- 1-2 years of professional experience (could include internships).
- Excellent plan-writing skills with demonstrated proficiency through completed plans, reports, and/or research.
- Proficiency with GIS, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, and SketchUP, or other 3D rendering programs such as V-Ray or Rhino.
- Strong graphics and design skills. The ability to hand-render perspectives, sketches, and site plans is a plus.
- Ability to work constructively in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary environment.
- Ability to think creatively and anticipate solutions to solving the complex problems that our work presents us.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- A degree in Urban Planning or Urban Studies is required. Candidates with second degree in one of the design disciplines (urban design, landscape architecture, or architecture) are encouraged to apply.
Please send digital copies of your resume, work samples, and portfolio via email to [email protected] Not to exceed 10 MB; .pdf format preferred. Include the desired position in the subject line.
Work samples should clearly demonstrate the candidate’s writing, analysis, and graphics skills. If work samples were prepared by a team, indicate the sections for which you were responsible.
**NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE**