Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Senior Planner (Planning & Urban Design) Non-Civil Service
Position Purpose This position is under the section of Strategic Policy Planning. The Senior Planner will function as a planning project manager.
- Design, develops, coordinates and conducts urban design studies, design guidelines, development proposal and policy analyses affecting land use, physical facilities, zoning, and/or transportation issues.
- Reviews, and provides comments on development proposals and their impacts on existing land use, physical facilities, zoning, and/or transportation issues.
- Solves complex problems in connection with the planning of small and large-scale, development, urban design, transportation or planning projects.
- Meets with the public, local authorities, city council and plan commissioners, city staff, local and regional partner agencies, consultants and the development community.
- Provides technical assistance, information, and collaborates with local transit and transportation agencies, local planning agencies, technical work groups, and other planning policy organizations.
- Manages and coordinates projects between various city departments.
- Makes presentations to the public, local authorities and government agencies regarding urban design, development proposals, transportation issues, or existing planning initiatives.
- Research and understand regulations, policies, strategies, guidelines and precedents to guide studies, plans and initiatives.
- Professional Degree in Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and/or Transportation and Urban Planning with an urban design emphasis with 6+ years of professional experience in urban design.
- A Master's Degree in the above disciplines can substitute for three years of experience.
- Skill in operating a variety of software packages such as Adobe Creative Suites, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and software programs such as Microsoft Office, database applications and presentation software.
- Possess strong computer graphic skills with proficiency in AutoCAD, SketchUP, Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. Expertise and a proven history in building and maintaining productive relationships.
- Demonstrated experience authoring design guidelines, area plans, site planning and/or urban design studies.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- People management and strong team leadership with ability to listen and collaborate effectively with city staff, elected officials, professional organizations, the development community, stakeholders and the public.
- Strong verbal, written and graphic communication skills.
- Collaborative and professional work ethic.
- A strong understanding of urban design and planning principles, trends, ideas and theory associated with project design and execution.
- Poses strong analytical capabilities and design sense.
- Ability to organize and effectively present information, interact with the public on a regular basis are essential requirements.
- Experience and comfort with public speaking and leading effective meetings and workshops.
Work samples must be submitted to be considered for the Sr. Planner position in the Urban Design sector.