Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Senior Urban Designer
*Please apply through the following link: https://som.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/San-Francisco/Senior-Urban-Designer_R-1712*
SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a Senior Urban Designer for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
- Supports and strengthens SOM’s firm vision, goals and values.
- Solves complex problems in connection with the urban design of large-scale projects.
- Develops urban design and planning concepts incorporating site planning, landscape design, transportation and infrastructure systems.
- Responsible for various portions of master planning and site plan development documents
- Interfaces with clients, consultants, contractors, and others during various stages of project development.
- Manages work within internal teams and with other disciplines on multiple project assignments; guides and encourages the development of staff.
- Participates proactively in international marketing and business development efforts, including the preparation of qualifications, proposals, and scopes of services.
- A Master Degree in Urban Design or City Planning, with undergraduate training in architecture design is required. AIA licensure or AICP is required. LEED accreditation is desirable.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible project experience in the urban design and physical planning profession for projects both internationally and in North America, including 5 years of experience running a team.
- A strong design ethos consistent with the core principles of SOM’s City Design Practice
- Thorough knowledge of urban design and planning issues, including site planning, zoning, infrastructure and utility planning, and climate adaptation design practices.
- A dynamic, creatively-focused and efficient work approach.
- Excellent people management and strong team leadership with ability to listen and collaborate effectively.
- Ability to adapt to change in a fast-pace, highly creative working environment is essential.
- Proven success in business development with positive results.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Autocad, Rhino or 3D studio max, MS Office, and Adobe CS skills is required. Hand-sketching ability is highly desirable.
- International travel will be required.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com [For external posts only if possible]
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.