TL Senior Planner (20190625)
The South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (TransLink) is one of Canada’s most innovative transportation authorities, founded in 1999 to plan and manage transportation within Metro Vancouver. We’ve achieved success not only in improving the transportation network of the region, but helping maintain the enviable lifestyle of residents and the viability of local businesses. TransLink and our family of companies (Coast Mountain Bus Company, B.C. Rapid Transit Company and Transit Police) are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers.
This position is in TransLink's Transit Network Management team within the System Planning department. Our team is composed of planners with experience in transit planning, project planning, and land use planning. We identify near and medium-term service improvements and changes to TransLink's bus and rail network. We work closely with other TransLink teams and Coast Mountain Bus Company, external stakeholders, and routinely interface with our customers, so relationships are very important to the work we do.
As a senior team member, you have gained diverse experience collaborating, supporting, and leading projects with successful and unsuccessful outcomes, and are able to apply these experiences to you work. You recognize that projects and processes are iterative, and sometimes non-linear and you can adapt your approach to meet the needs of the current situation.
As a Senior Planner in Transit Network Management you work on diverse tasks including:
Being the subject matter expert for one of our service sub-regions.
You will have an understanding local transit services, key considerations, and be able to recommend network improvements. Manage projects related to transit service expansion and tracking and monitoring of project costs and inputs. Convene and manage committees related to changes in the transit service network with senior management and senior executive staff. Initiate and assist in the negotiation for contracted transit servicesPerform data collection and analysis through field studies, data analysis software (e.g. Tableau, Excel), and/or ad hoc SQL queries.
Provides senior transportation planning expertise and leadership to projects of medium/higher scope in support of a designated program related to transportation policy, forecasting, or infrastructure / service development in an integrated, multi-modal environment.
- You contribute senior transportation planning expertise to the development of program/project strategies, plans and tactics.
- In this role you provide senior technical guidance, sharing the benefit of an advanced level of expertise with other planning professionals, while also providing leadership to designated projects.
- Develops advanced transportation planning, methods, techniques and models in support of designated project deliverables, ensuring compliance with department standards, policies and procedures.
- As a member of the program team you provide senior level of transportation planning expertise, identify and recommend action on planning and project risks and opportunities that is based on analysis of transport data, trends, and issues.
- You have good judgment and will alert your Manager to critical issues.
- You collaborate with leaders and professionals across the organization, with a view to optimizing planning services and project outcomes.
- Develops and manages relationships with stakeholders to understand needs, keeping them informed and resolving issues.
- Provides senior technical support and advice to municipal/provincial working teams and advisory committees.
- Oversees contractors and consultants, providing work direction and monitoring contract compliance.
- Provides technical guidance to other planning professionals, including involvement in development and performance management.
Education and Experience:
The competencies for this position are acquired through a Master's degree in Planning, Engineering or a related discipline, plus four (4) years' experience providing an advanced level of expertise and leading projects in an agency specializing in planning or transportation.
-Advanced knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts and practices of transportation planning.
-Sound knowledge of plans, products, roles and responsibilities of government agencies, NGOs and associations.
-Sound leadership skills to provide a senior level of technical guidance and expertise to other transportation planning professionals and to lead projects.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to identify and assess impact of transportation planning and project-related risks and opportunities in an integrated, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to develop and deliver reports and presentations.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build trust by consulting with others and applying a team approach and negotiation skills as they pertain to contracts.
- Sound decision making skills to make recommendations and resolve transportation planning and project-related issues, and conflict resolution skills to mitigate and minimize project risks and issues.
Work Schedule: 37.5 hours per week
An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
TransLink is committed to employment equity.