This position builds upon your experience in the landscape and urban design profession. You will have the opportunity to work independently with supervision on a variety of project types in a variety of roles. You will have opportunities to coordinate major aspects and components of exciting projects with teams internal and external to the firm.
SERA is a progressive, 100% employee-owned architecture, interior design and urban design & planning firm based in Portland, Oregon. Since 1968, SERA has been instrumental in the development of the city’s national reputation for livability. In 2015, we opened a second office in the San Francisco Bay Area where we service Silicon Valley and other California clients.
Our culture reflects our commitment to great design, client service, and sustainability. SERA provides our employees with an enjoyable work environment and opportunities for professional and personal development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the landscape architect, project manager, senior planner, or principal-in-charge, provides guidance to other project team members on project tasks and contributes to project content and creative direction.
- Responsible for visually communicating project content. This includes the graphic production of plans, diagrams, renderings, maps, and the graphic representation of data, design concepts, and processes.
- Responsible for graphic layout / text for project reports, presentations, and other related work products.
- Works on several projects or issues simultaneously; can work independently or in a team environment.
- Attends to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind.
- Explains plans and concepts clearly to the public, consultants, and clients.
- Clearly and succinctly explains landscape and urban design plans and concepts to a range of audiences.
- Possesses creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information in order to solve vaguely defined, practical problems.
- Coordinates tasks/deliverables with other team members and consultants with some supervision.
- Assists with preparation of construction documents and specifications with supervision of a landscape architect.
- With oversight and assistance from others, may work independently with clients/consultants on small projects or discrete project sections. This may entail ensuring that scope, schedule, and budget are met. Reviews work products and project processes with project leaders.
- May be called upon to participate in project team meetings with clients/consultants, and present at public/client meetings and workshops / charrettes.
- May help to plan and guide the work of small teams (1-2 staff members) or discrete project tasks.
- Functions as a team mentor, offering trusted guidance to other staff on project teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor or Master’s degree in landscape architecture.
- Generally has 3-5 years of industry experience in a planning or design office.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, and MS Office Suite required.
- Prior experience with preparation of construction documents required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Rhino and Lumion preferred.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to determine the right tool for the task.
- Ability to prioritize multiple important tasks.
- Knowledge of site and landscape materials and systems.
- Ability to create high-quality graphics, maps, diagrams, renderings, and/or sketches.
- Critical thinking skills to identify strengths, weaknesses, or alternate solutions to a problem with supervision.
- Hand sketching skills preferred.
SERA Architects Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.