Planner II - Current Planning
Fuquay-Varina, located in southern Wake County, North Carolina within 30 minutes of both downtown Raleigh and Research Triangle Park, is one of the fastest-growing towns in North Carolina—the Town estimates that its population reached 30,000 in July 2018. Fuquay-Varina offers a rich quality of life, with an extensive park system, two vibrant downtowns poised for significant new investment, and a commitment to maintaining and enhancing its historic charm and sense of place.
Planner II – Current Planning
The purpose of this position is to provide planning- and zoning-related customer service to the general public, design professionals, developers, and the like. The Planner II will be actively involved in providing review for technical compliance with development plans; explaining and advising the customers on subdivision, transportation, zoning, land use, and other planning-related issues; and supporting the general current planning needs of the Town.
• Review of subdivision plats, site plans, and other development plans for technical compliance with the Town’s Land Development Ordinance
• Prepare and manipulate maps, charts, graphics, and other data to illustrate various needs related to the Town’s planning efforts using ArcGIS
• Assist in updating detailed land use- and development-related data and maps
• Attend board meetings and present planning-related matters that includes zoning, subdivisions, text amendments, and other information as required
• Work with the general public in both daily interaction in person and by telephone, and in public meetings
• Provide research and input into the development of ordinances, policies, and procedures for the Town and department
• Work collaboratively with other staff and departments to solve common problems and advance organization-wide initiatives
• Other duties as assigned
A bachelor’s degree in planning or related field, although a master’s degree is preferred. A minimum of one year working in a municipal planning office. Advanced skills in computer software and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and ArcGIS.
• Understanding of subdivision and zoning concepts, as well as municipal functions
• Experience in public speaking, meeting facilitation and/or working with elected and appointed boards
• Ability to prepare maps and analyze data using ArcGIS
• Ability to work independently and multi-task
• Experience with graphic software such as InDesign and SketchUp preferred
• Skill in organizing department’s work, managing deadlines, and maintaining attention to detail in a high-growth, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to interact and communicate effectively with the general public, development community, and Town and other governmental staff