This is the advance professional level classification in the planning series. The positions assigned to this classification apply professional skills to various advance planning and redevelopment projects, utilizing knowledge of zoning, architecture, landscape architecture and urban design. Some of the duties and responsibilities include:
- Assists in preparing and updating elements of the City's general plan pursuant to state law. Recommends work programs and schedules.
- Participates in the preparation of Request for Proposals for planning consultant services.
- Prepares graphics using Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping to effectively present planning concepts and proposals for public evaluation. Considers the audience and area of display when preparing graphic material.
- Utilizing various software applications, prepares written reports and documents from simple summaries to complex technical documents for complex planning projects.
- Represents the Advance Planning Division before various committees such as the Board of Zoning Adjustment, other bodies.
- Maintains a current and thorough working knowledge of City codes, ordinances, and policies and State statutes relating to planning, land use development, environmental impact assessment, and zoning, and is able to accurately interpret and apply them.
The ideal candidate will have experience preparing and updating a general plan in long-range planning. Experience with public engagement and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, subordinates, City staff, and the public is essential to the success of this position. The individual selected must demonstrate strong written and communication skills. Experience using Geographic Information System (GIS) and other computer graphic and mapping software is highly desirable.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Education and Experience: Any combination equivalent to training, education and experience that could likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be: Bachelor's Degree in urban planning or a closely related field and four (4) years of progressively responsible professional experience in a city, county or regional planning agency, or in a private consulting firm working on urban planning projects. Knowledge of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid California driver license.
EXAMINATION PROCEDURES: Applicants must receive a passing score on all exam components in order to be placed on the eligible list.
Written Exam: Measures planning knowledge and writing ability weighed at 30%. Tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
Appraisal Interview: Evaluates training, experience and personal qualifications for the position weighed at 70%. Tentatively scheduled for Thursday, May 16, 2019.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The provisions of this job posting does not constitute a contract, express or implied, and any provisions in this posting may be modified or revoked without notice. Continuation in the examination process and subsequent placement on the eligible list of a person convicted of a crime depends upon the nature of the conviction and the conduct of the applicant subsequent to the offense. Convictions will be evaluated on a job related basis and will not automatically disqualify someone from further consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The City of Culver City is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, national origin, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation/identification.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Background/ Reference Check: Upon a conditional job offer, a live scan finger printing must be completed with acceptable results. Your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
• Pre-placement medical evaluation including drug screen (select positions).
• E-Verify: Proof of U.S. citizenship, alien residency or authorization to work in the U.S. will be required at time of appointment.
We are officially live with our online application system and are no longer accepting paper applications! Applicants must submit an application online to receive consideration. Please refer to the City’s employment opportunities page for instructions to set-up an account and apply. https://www.culvercity.org/city-hall/city-government/city-departments/hu...
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at (310) 253-5640.